Hi all, if you are wondering what hides under the top right button of the Mondo app, here’s a glimpse.
The question that we’re trying to answer in this section of the app is “Where is my money going?”. This is one of those questions that appears again and again in our customer interviews so we know almost everyone really cares about.
So far we are considering to answer the “Where?” question in three possible ways:
- Category: “My money goes to groceries”.
- Location: “My money goes to Shoreditch”.
- Merchant: “My money goes to Sainsbury’s”.
As you can see the navigation is familiar and we hope will relate nicely with how the feed works. At the same time this is the first area where we’ll get a big value out of our categories and merchant location.
The challenges ahead? A few, all of them full of interesting design trade-offs here and there (really fun stuff for designers )
- We need to be very careful to avoid data porn just for the sake of it. Particularly when showing maps we want to be sure that we’re actually giving you valuable information and not just noise (classic PFM mistake).
- Prediction and action. With this solution we’re not telling you if you are spending more or less than your average month, that’s a huge question and we’re working hard on it.
- Reporting. This solution expects you to go to the app to check how things are going. That’s ok but we still need the second piece of the puzzle, something that can send you reports when Mondo realises relevant events on your spending. In other words, we want to be able to send you a feed item saying “Hey, just for you to know, you’re spending every day £30 more than this month last year”. Then, if that’s relevant to you, you can dive in and understand why is that happening.
That’s all for now, this is a big piece of the app that we’re sure we’ll iterate and improve a lot.
Any feedback is highly appreciated. What do YOU expect of this kind of tool? Are we on the right path?