Salary Sweep Up - community marketplace of scripts!

It’s more that I’m not familiar on how to create web hooks etc! I followed a guide by someone once to create a web hook and then shortcut for adding things to a pot manually without opening the app, super useful. But making something from just a description is out of my expertise :joy:

This is exactly the audience I’m aiming for with the product shown in the first tweet! No programming knowledge is needed!

Ahhh I seeeeee. Apologies I thought this is something that was relatively easy (once pointed in the right direction) to create myself using IFTTT and the Shortcuts app, as I’ve done before.

In theory it would be possible with the Shortcuts app, but that’s not the service I’m looking to provide here! If somebody else wants to tackle that then :raised_hands:

Actually I’m not sure now. The minute you get the payday notification then the balance is then wrong, so I’m not sure how you pull the info on your previous balance to then do the math. Bleurgh. Think I’ll just wait this one out :joy:

I’m pleased to say that my awesomely talented software developing husband has done this for me using AWS and some other kind of magic. He has said he’ll probably put it on Github for people to open source, if anyone is interested?

4 Likes

One interested person right here! :wave:

1 Like

Just to flag there’s a suggestion for native functionality in the Monzo app over here, so up-vote that one if that’s your thing (it’s certainly mine!)

I’m gonna leave this thread open for discussion of @Sherlock’s wonderful idea. And for any updates he wants to give the faithful :wink::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::innocent:

(I’ve also changed the name a bit to make that clearer - hope that’s okay! :blush:)

This looks amazing! I had no idea that people can develop on top of Monzo, I thought it was just IFTTT. How would someone go about using / integrating your script?

Using the API :slight_smile:

I just Google’d - I’m surprised I never knew this :rofl:

Is there a way to use other people’s scripts? I saw that there’s a Marketplace floating around, but I don’t see that in my app…

The marketplace thing he is referring to is also what he has built. He never shared any of the code to my knowledge:

Oh nice! How do I get onto the Marketplace? i.e. is this an app I need to download, or a website?

I believe he is still working on it since he hasn’t been back on here since.

Aye, in typical James fashion when trying to create the app as quickly as possible I never made the backend system handle multiple logins (which turned out to be a bit more challenging than I thought).

It is “operational”, just super far from being user friendly and currently only supports one authenticated user at a time.

The individual scripts shown in the original screenshot (and some others I’ve built using this system since) are fairly accessible if you have some basic knowledge! There are a lot of fantastic libraries on GitHub which will help you on your way too

@Sherlock - it might not be intentional, but you seem to playing your cards close to your chest :grin:

Would you care to share to some hints on what you used to set up the sweep etc. in your screenshots? Names of apps, code repos for reference etc.?

This kind of sweep is exactly what I’ve been hunting for, but this thread seems to contain the closest thing there is to a solution, but you don’t say what it is! :smiley:

If you’re feeling generous, maybe you could dump some code onto a Git repo to help people in this thread out a bit? There’s clearly interest. Of course, nobody expects a finished article or support from you.

Definitely not intending to keep cards close or be secretive!

This thread started less about the salary sweep up but more the “app store” of user generated scripts (one of which was a salary sweep up) that I was prototyping. Technically the product worked, but from an implementation perspective is complicated due to limitations with the public API, being iOS only, and some other factors which is why it never really progressed.

The thread has since turned more to just salary sweep up as a standalone feature (which is something I really like - and Monzo has said they are looking to do something like it eventually).

Generally speaking the sweep up script waits for a transaction which has the metadata payday on it. It gets your balance, takes off your salary, and then moves that to a pot you have defined. If you have experience with Monzo’s API, it’s all easily achievable.

I’ve been pouring all my spare dev efforts into a transaction receipts service for Monzo so haven’t pushed this forward though who knows in the medium term!

Been a while, but the occasional link and mention in this thread has reminded me how much potential this project has had.

So I’m working on something a bit different with a couple other community members…

We hope to have you automating your money properly in no time :wink:

Can’t wait to tell you more… but in the meanwhile if you have any ideas for automations that are not currently possible let me know!

11 Likes

For the record, Anti Overdraft was not in response to this reddit post :see_no_evil: It was in the original post too!

https://www.reddit.com/r/monzo/comments/dnxncs/charging_for_overdraft_with_money_in_standard_pots

Apparently “medium term” is 9 days btw

2 Likes

2 Likes