Safety & privacy implications of names on cards

Yep. Some companies sent an A4 form and envelope to return it. But one insurance company wanted a two page form completed countersigned by a witness, an up to date copy of an ID, and a utility bill or tax letter showing the new “name”… as the idiots treated the change of prefix as a change of name :frowning: they must have the intellectual agility of Homer Simpson.

Absolute, complete, tone-deaf, misogynistic incompetence. There are simply no words to describe how bad this is…

1 Like

I agree this is an issue for all users - not just women - I prefer initial+surname without the title. I see no need for the first name or title.

1 Like

This is why personalisation is nice. I really like my name as it is on my current Monzo card, hate it on others. It should be preference, always.

1 Like

I agree in theory that it should be the business owners’ responsibility to train their staff and ensure appropriate behaviour and treatment of customer data but in reality this is clearly not the case and having my name removed from the card is so much easier than filing individual complaints for each case.

2 Likes

Thanks for the comments and the personal stories! I’ve amended the title so it doesn’t exclude anyone.

3 Likes

That’s great, but I do think it’s worth keeping the physical safety point. Privacy is nice for everyone, but I also think people need to understand that for some people it can be essential, and worst-case even a life-or-death matter.

4 Likes

I suggested this a while ago and the reply implied it was in the pipeline. Would definitely still love to see it. Customise printed name on debit card

2 Likes

When Monzo is linked to Apple Pay, then no card details need to be shared/seen :slight_smile: much more secure!

A few things:

• At this time Monzo doesn’t support Apple Pay and nothing has been announced. They do support Android Pay, and same thing there.
  • It’s more privacy than security related (obviously privacy can affect physical security but not what is usually being referred to in the context of payment cards).