Recurring Payments

(Alex Sherwood) #78

I love technical details for payments too so I can’t resist getting involved. Interestingly (or not) there’s no such thing as a CMA. Each time the merchant wants to take new payment, they need to request a new authorisation. But I’m not sure anyone in this community needs to worry about this stuff :man_shrugging: what matters is what the user sees & they don’t see this level of detail.

yes but they just request that authorisation from the card scheme they don’t need to go back to the cardholder for a fresh signature or a repeat PIN

(Alex Sherwood) #80

Right. As I said, it’s not a Continuous Payment Authority though. I’m not sure what point you’re trying to make?

Also, there must be other forums where people who actually care about this stuff hang out?

If you know any you are welcome to advise where (URL)

Thanks

(Alex Sherwood) #82

I don’t know of any I’m afraid. You could try the developer’s Slack or set up a Telegram channel?

(James Billingham) #83

There is such a thing as a Continuous Payment Authority in the legal/regulatory sense. It isn’t backed by much practical implementation or anything particularly specific going on, but that doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist.

For recurring payments, merchants generally bill you the first time with the CVC you entered. If they bill you subsequently for a subscription or whatever, there’s no CVC, and there is a flag which indicates that it’s a recurring payment.

Consumers have the right to revoke the Continuous Payment Authority held by a particular merchant. They can do this by contacting their card issuer. This is actually something I did with Monzo about a year ago.

Practically speaking, it just means that they decline all authorisations from that merchant ID for your account.

Control over Continuous Payment Authorities
(Peter Roberts) #84

Which would mean you’d have to first contact Monzo again to undo the block on that merchant ID if you ever wanted to shop at that place again? Even for a one off payment?

What a horribly non-specific implementation :confused:

(James Billingham) #85

Well, yes. But to be fair, if you’ve had to go to the length of forcing them to stop billing you by asking your bank, I dare say you won’t be going back to that merchant.

Revoking CPA isn’t really intended as a normal-case option. Generally best to just talk to the merchant instead.

(Peter Roberts) #86

Ideally I’d like each CPA to be an agreed upon ongoing transaction authorisation contract like a direct debit, but for card payments rather than bank debits

(James Billingham) #87

Legally, that is what happens. The contract is just the merchant’s terms and conditions.

What does this mean, Seriously? Are you actually saying that no one can say something slightly off topic or out of context here?

I would expect you to look all the threads here from now on and tell everyone who is off topic the same thing you said to this gentlemen?

Some people here seem to have greater sense of entitlement for whatever reason and keep forgetting some basic principles like for example respect!

I see that you wrote a reply and then immediately removed. I am sorry if you feel I criticised you without knowing the context but seriously I couldn’t find the context here I have followed the trail of yours and @anon44204028’s messages in this thread and could not figure out.

Total respect what you have done here and how you have helped thousands but sometime you need to think before you press send.

May I also remind you of this from Community Guidelines

Be Agreeable, Even When You Disagree
You may wish to respond to something by disagreeing with it. That’s fine. But, remember to criticize ideas, not people. Please avoid:
Name-calling.
Ad hominem attacks.
Responding to a post’s tone instead of its actual content.
Knee-jerk contradiction.
Instead, provide reasoned counter-arguments that improve the conversation.

(Alex Sherwood) #90

Hey Monza, here’s what to do if you believe that a user’s post doesn’t meet the community guidelines.

When you see bad behavior, don’t reply. It encourages the bad behavior by acknowledging it, consumes your energy, and wastes everyone’s time. Just flag it. If enough flags accrue, action will be taken, either automatically or by moderator intervention.

From here.

I afraid to say, you’re doing it again mate. See one of the Guidelines above is;

Knee-jerk contradiction

I know you’re not contradicting but just giving your knee-jerk reaction.
I hate to be involved in this kind of tit for tat and would not respond after this reply but let me point you to the flag dialog which I am sure you’re well aware. You could have done this instead of telling someone

Sorry if you feel bad in any way at all about this interaction.

(Simon) #92

I have just been told by Monzo in app chat that the only way to stop a subscription payment is to get a new card.

I thought these should be able to be cancelled by contacting my card issuer.

Anyone know what the rules actually are?

(Richard Cook) split this topic #93

2 posts were split to a new topic: Removed Posts 8/2/2018

(Jack Donovan) #94

+1 for this. Good lord, I’ve never even thought of that. What an amazing suggestion.

I would absolutely love to see recurring card transactions within the app. @simonb any plans for this? :sunglasses:

(Jack Donovan) #95

Naughty! :sweat_smile:

(Simon B) #96

Unfortunately there isn’t anything in the merchant data to indicate when something is a recurring card transaction or the regularity of it so it’s hard for us to know. I suppose we could look at historical data and if you’ve had the same value to the same merchant on the same day every month for X amount of months we could allow the user to mark it as a recurring transaction… I’ll see if the product team think this is a viable idea!

(Jack Donovan) #97

That’s excellent, thanks Simon :sunglasses:

@simonb or even just a way for us to mark a transaction as recurring straight away :sunglasses: then it get added to the scheduled payments instantly