Paypal Payment - Not Left Account

I made a payment via Paypal and it left Paypal and was succesful, however it didnt leave Monzo. It still shows in my balance and no transaction is generated.

I paid with my bank, rather than the card, it says ****[account number] - rather than paying with the card attached.

Im not sure how it works, will the payment just be taking its time, how could I have paid via bank rather than card, I am not sure how that works?

Hi @Necabo & welcome :wave:

(Also happy :cake: day too!)

Paypal can be strange. If I pay someone via Paypal, with my linked Monzo account as the payment source, it can take up to 7 days for my Monzo account to be debited - even though the recipient has received my payment instantly via Paypal.

It’s a waiting game of unknown duration, unfortunately (but in my experience you don’t have to wait more than a week)

2 Likes

Hello and welcome to the forum,

I’ve had this happen to me too. If you pay by bank there is a delay, if you pay by debit card it’s instant. I don’t know why but it’s very annoying, so much so that I removed my ‘bank’ as a payment option so I wouldn’t get caught out again!

In Paypal you have a ‘preferred payment’ option, so it’s maybe set to the bank account, rather than the debit card, maybe check there.

Hey @Necabo!

Happy cake day :raised_hands:t2:

Do you have a PayPal direct debit set up on your account?

If you’ve selected to pay via your account, then I believe Paypal take the money from your PayPal account, and then collect this via direct debit from your bank account a few days later.

I pay Spotify via PayPal and get the PayPal notification ~3 working days before the direct debit is paid from my monzo :slight_smile:

Hope that clears things up, but if you’re at all unsure, just pop us a message in chat!

1 Like

If you paid via PayPal using your Monzo account instead of your card then it’ll make a Direct Debit from your account which can take a few days.

Note that merchants see this (I believe PayPal calls these payments “e-cheques” on the merchant side) and may delay sending of your items until the payment actually clears so I suggest that in the future you add your card to PayPal and use that to pay.

This isn’t true anymore. The e-cheque system is how it used to work but if PayPal allows you to select your bank account to pay a merchant it’ll be an instant payment based on risk assessment. Nowadays if the risk is high it’ll only let you select your card for payment.

E-cheques used to be the way to go on PayPal but it was terribly slow.

1 Like