Reallly Poor Experience. 2nd class citizens - basic Monzo user

While, as I said before, I can see how the upgrade card could be annoying, I do think Monzo’s ads are less intrusive than say, Revolut (who seem to send me a notification every other day) or Barclays (who have sent me numerous emails and letters about getting a credit card).

Overall, I find Monzo’s upgrade ads pretty unintrusive:

1. The upgrade card is probably the most intrusive but I don’t really mind it now since I just never swipe in that direction.

2. The ‘UPGRADE ACCOUNT’ button under the name in the profile screen is small and unintrusive in my opinion. However, I can also see why people might find this annoying.

3. The `Do more with Monzo’ is at the bottom of the profile screen and so if out of the way.

4. I don’t remember receiving any upgrade notifications since I toggled off “Personalised marketing” in the Privacy & Security settings.

5. I think I’ve received three emails ever about upgrading (from a quick count) and I have ‘News and updates’ toggled on.

6. The ‘Invite friends’ in the payments tab doesn’t take up much space and is at the bottom under Frequent and Recent.

7. The ‘Sent from Monzo’ auto-filled reference for Faster Payments is also fine with me since a reference is required to send money via Faster Payments anyway. There is an issue with UI here that makes it difficult to spot that you can change the reference, but it looks like that will be fixed.

8. The ‘Invite’ in non-Monzo payees doesn’t take up much space. However, I do agree with @Chapuys’s point that the logic behind showing it could be improved. Perhaps the ‘Invite’ bar could be removed if all the accounts in a Payee are marked as “business accounts”?

I think that’s all of the places where Monzo have upgrade ads?

If so, I think they’re pretty unintrusive. The only ones which I think could be considered intrusive are numbers 1 and 2 (although 7 needs to be fixed and 8 would be a nice touch).

3 Likes