Newbie here, so apologies if there is already a thread/topic on these questions, feel free to just link me to the relevant thread(s), and apologies if I have categorised this thread wrongly! I did do a quick search but I couldn’t find anything specifically about what I was thinking of.
I am currently going over my budget and have thought of a few things that I am not sure how to do, or perhaps it is not a service that Monzo currently offers, in which case it would be nice to get some feedback on whether it would be something Monzo would work on for future releases - I figure there is no harm in asking!
n.b - if a question seems silly, please note that I am severely dyscalculic (think dyslexia but with numbers) and really struggle with manual mathematics, which is half the reason I joined Monzo; my manual budgets just never add up right so the more Monzo can do for me, the better I will be able to keep in budget!
So here we go;
- Can Direct Debits be categorised? I seem to be able to categorise some of them but not all of them so they don’t reflect in my summary very well so I struggle to figure out the totals of my categories, especially as the scheduled payments only sometimes seem to come out of my category budget.
- Is it possible to see a future estimated balance based on your average income and your scheduled payments, such as what my budget would look like next month?
If I could put placeholder transactions for future dates (a number and a label for a specific date, eg: £50 - Birthday Drinks - 12th of August 2019) then I could then easily see if I can commit to future spending and Monzo could work as my budget planner. The placeholder could become a FYI notification once the date has passed, like when a new DD is set up, so I can compare the estimate to the actual spendings.
- Is it possible for the summary to show a negative figure? I have an overdraft so it would be much more useful for me if the summary could show that based on my scheduled payments I will be £x into my overdraft so I can plan accordingly rather than just letting me know my balance will be £0.
- Is it possible to set Monzo to not let me spend money if my total balance will go below what my scheduled payment total is? Like a button to set my summary balance as if it was my actual balance so anything over that total gets declined with a warning of how over I will be? Perhaps unless a special PIN is entered for emergencies?
Or perhaps if I could set all of my direct debits to go out of a Pot? Like a special Direct Debit Pot would be useful where it would calculate the total of my scheduled payments, take that on my payday and then all scheduled payments come from that Pot? Then whatever is left in my account is for me to spend and I don’t have to worry too much about things.
- Does Monzo send reports? I have dabbled with IFTTT to copy some card transactions to a Google Calendar but I don’t really get how to make custom ones, but an email with a weekly report would be really useful at keeping me on track as the app isn’t always totally clear, at a glance, what my weekly running totals are.
As you can probably tell I have been having a bit of a budget problem so I am trying to get all the support I can to get me back on track! Any other advice about using Monzo to budget would be appreciated too!
Thanks very much!