Productivity Apps - Task Management!

Google Keep.

Free, integrates with the rest of my soul-sold-to-Google ecosystem and is neat :slight_smile:

The one I’ve been leaning towards the most is Swipes - worth checking it out - it has a mac app too!

Their Mac app is just a wrapper around a web app… disappointing.

Used lots of different ones but always come back to OmniFocus. Things 3 would be my second choice and Todoist my third. The first two are Mac only.

Is it an Electron app? If so I am universally against it.

Yep looks like it given the blank page in the app’s window right after startup. It also just doesn’t feel “right” in terms of how responsive it is, it lags compared to native apps.

1 Like

I’ve been using Asana for the last couple of years… it’s free for up to 12 people.w

Pretty smooth and if you sign up to instagantt you can creat Gantt charts for timelines.

I’m using outlook for work as well, which I’ve enabled a flow which creates a task if I flag an email which can be handy.

I have the same problem! I keep getting notifications telling me Mrs Moobot has thought of something new for me to do!!

Saying that, it does come in useful and Microsoft are phasing it out. Their replacement doesn’t allow lists to be shared so I need something else that does allow it.

Anyone have any ideas?

It’s really sad to see big companies buying good apps just to outright kill them off or “integrate” them in their own half-assed product. :sob:

Happens all the time.

The founders of Foursquare originally built a location sharing app called Dodgeball, that Google bought and basically left to die. All these years later, real time location sharing within Google Maps is basically the same thing.

But my favorite example, BY FAR, is the T-Mobile Sidekick, which I had in 2006 and 2007 but actually started in 2002 or so. Years before both the iPhone and Android, it had an always-on data connection, push email, integrated instant messengers, cloud sync of contacts, calendar and notes and a fully QA’d app store with some fantastic apps.

The OS was originally built by Andy Rubin who went on to found Android along with Matias Duarte who went on to be head of design on Android. It was a truly amazing platform and successful too, having sold millions of units way before the “smartphone revolution”.

Then, Microsoft bought the whole company, all the good people left, and they put the tech into one of the most notorious flop devices of all time, the Microsoft Kin, which was on the market for something like 2 months before it was completely pulled.

2 Likes

I used to love Foursquare especially when jailbroken :man_astronaut:

For a simple check list, I like Google Keep. Put things on a list and tick them off when completed.

I like David Allen’s Getting Things Done approach to productivity and have just started using Every Task that has a web interface and syncs with the app on my Galaxy S8. Not sure if there’s an iOs version.

It does cost £1.75 a month.

I’d love to build a productivity app. What do people think the best way would be going about this? Hire a freelancer or use a company? (recommendations welcome)

A freelancer can be an option but the issue is finding a good freelancer - forget sites like Upwork/Freelancer.com/etc as those are full of low-quality freelancers who barely know how to code. Unless you already know a good freelancer I would avoid this option.

A little web/mobile development studio is usually your best bet - have a look at their website, see if the design and attention to detail is there. Also I would recommend avoiding some technologies like PhoneGap/React/etc as they aren’t as fast and don’t look completely right on your target platform. A native app developed specifically for that platform will always beat the cross-platform garbage.

1 Like

I like using lists so I am a fan of Workflowy. It is a freemium model where you get so many items each month but the free version is enough for my needs at the moment. You can get some extra items with this link

Yes, Todoist for me too - even work allow it to “dock” within Microsoft Outlook.

I recommended it earlier in this thread! I love how you could save up to plant a real tree IRL

An update on a new productivity app I have found!

I’ve been using the programme Shift recently to manage multiple email accounts and do it all under one programme.

For a price, there are multiple accounts you can add like PayPal, LinkedIn, FB business, twitter, WhatsApp plus loads more. I am currently using it for my emails which is free!

Has anyone tried it and liked it? Below is a referral link to try it out if anyone is interested!

https://tryshift.com/referral/8da5/business/

Sadly it’s still just a wrapper around the web UI, nothing more.

Yeah, I quite like being able to change between my three email accounts quickly but I’d be interested to know what adding other apps would be like and the experience on it.