Pre US Launch, maybe stupid question

Is there anywhere else US people need to sign up? Or have ready anything else for when it officially kicks off here? Or will all that come through the waitlist signup? I just really don’t want to miss out on some of the perks as they begin to be implemented.

1 Like

I think they plan on doing events in cities where the waitlist shows the most interest.
Probably a gradual rollout with face-to-face events, city per city.

Our initial plan of action is that we’ll book events based on demand from the waitlist and we’ll be giving out cards at these events. This is the same strategy that we used in London. So, we’ll be closely looking at the data as to where we book events, but obviously we already know there will be high demand in places like San Francisco, Los Angeles, New York :grinning:

I personally would love to see us do an event in Portland because I used to live there. Hopefully some Portland people sign up to the waitlist :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

I live in NW Arkansas. So while I know there is some old and new money in the area (Walmart, Tyson, JB Hunt) as well as the main college…I don’t foresee a trip near me during the press tour or whatever.

I don’t mind driving a few hours to one of the spots, but I’ve got a sneaky suspicion that it’ll be more than 3-4hrs away.

2 Likes

Ah! That seems a lovely place. I was in Memphis last month, and had a meeting with some folks who live in Little Rock.

I think realistically… Nashville might be the nearest place to you that we could theoretically end up doing an event? Only because I know of the burgeoning tech scene there. Ultimately it all comes down to the data. If we end up getting thousands of people on the waitlist for Arkansas then you never know :grin:

3 Likes

Hope you get some in Minneapolis! :purple_heart: :cloud_with_rain:

2 Likes

The Clintons?

1 Like

The only Clinton that I could theoretically have met for what that meeting was about, is George :joy:

4 Likes

A lot more fun than the other lot :grin:

2 Likes

Portlander here. (former Simple employee)

Question: Why do the events for rollout, rather than an online registration and mail the card out? Or are the events a marketing tool, and users can attend in person, or sign up online?

1 Like

Hey Dave :grinning: I used to live in Gresham myself and I still have family down in Eugene :raised_hands: I miss Oregon very much!

The in-person events are also how we started in the UK. It’s a graduation from friends/family that allows us to maintain a close community feel, and engage with our early adopters, plus give them a proper explanation of anything in that app that might still be a bit buggy or janky, and the things we are specifically looking for feedback on.

We want to be confident that the app and service is ready for people by not having any really crushing bugs that people who are a little bit detached from us could potentially get upset about before graduating to a card mail-out. This systems allows us to scale at our own pace and really build out what we’re doing with the help of our community. A huge amount of what makes Monzo what it is today in the UK is due to user feedback, and especially that super early feedback.

4 Likes

Thanks. I actually live in Gresham myself. I agree, I love it here too.

In the UK have you moved to distributing cards by mail, after graduating from friends and family style rollout?

1 Like

They have indeed. Monzo has 2.25 million customers in the UK now, they’re well beyond just meet-ups!

1 Like

Oh nice! I used to live fairly near to the Civic Drive MAX, which actually only opened not long before I left.

In the UK we have been sending cards out in the mail since early 2016 or so :grinning:

But there was a good 5 or 6 month period whereby you could only get a card by attending an in-person event.

1 Like