Pots on Android slightly delayed šŸÆ

I can confirm, at the Glasgow Meet they inspected our phones upon entry. iOS users were taken into a lovely room, where they had drinks and food and got to see some talks from Monzo staff. Us Android users were herded into a freezing room where we were jeered and spat at for the duration of the event.

I did get to pay for my Uber home using Android Pay, so that was nice.

43 Likes

I totally see where youā€™re coming from, and I agree - itā€™s frustrating that features are not released on both platforms at the same time. Ideally, thereā€™d absolute feature parity and everything would be released at the same time.

The team currently working on Pots is made of 1 iOS dev and 1 Android dev (+ backend). Unfortunately, itā€™s not a case of focusing efforts on one platform instead of another as the two developers are not interchangeable and, in most cases, features are not necessarily comparable across platforms in terms of effort required. For instance, there might be components that have been built differently and therefore require a different approach (and potentially more time to deploy).

In the case of pots, the implementation required both platforms to upgrade the current ā€œAccountsā€ tab from what used to be the ā€œCardsā€ tab. Luckily for us, this had already been done by another team on iOS but it wasnā€™t necessary for Android at the time. This resulted in our team taking on additional work to make Pots function as designed which slowed us down significantly compared to iOS. This was highlighted in our Pots retrospective and the team took an action to carefully scope projects and decouple them from any dependencies going forward!

Here is a screenshot of our retrospective tool.

We are working very hard to bring new features on both platforms at the same time, but at the moment we are a very small team and we are sadly constrained on several fronts. We have already made significant progress in our efforts to achieve this goal, and weā€™re confident that in the future weā€™ll be able to continue to close that gap until it no longer exists.

On a personal note, Iā€™m an Android user myself (and so are @tristan and @JordanFish) and I can promise you that none of us favour iOS in any way. Weā€™ll definitely reach feature parity one day! :muscle:

30 Likes

Thanks for your reply @valerio, that makes things a lot clearer for me!

Itā€™s fair enough that the Android developer is constrained by some other activities to be completed like the ā€œAccountsā€ tab and that both are getting the same amount of developer attention.

Sometimes it feels like thereā€™s loads of people developing iOS and no-one developing Android or at least heavily weighted towards iOS but itā€™s refreshing to hear that in this instance that isnā€™t the case but just held up by Androids general behind-ness.

4 Likes

From memory of what was stated at one of the recent Open Office events, I think there are now more ā€˜Android bodiesā€™ floating around Monzo than iOS ones. They just have more to do to catch up

4 Likes

Oh look iOS got custom amounts first after all. Phew that was a close oneā€¦Iā€™m glad things are back to normal. :grin:

6 Likes

Monzo, weā€™re gonna need a new thing when Apple Pay starts workingā€¦

3 Likes

Iā€™d also be a bit surprised if they were the same peopleā€¦

Thatā€™s a shame. Thanks for being transparent.

Which you guys used a platform like react native that would help solve at least some of the problems with achieving parity.

Ahahaha, and now imagine how awful that would be down the line in regards to maintainability, scaleability and performance :stuck_out_tongue:

That also excludes the security issues that systems like React bring to the table (as it is essentially writing lower level Swift/Java for you, you have very little control and oversight so malicious code injection is a real possibility unless you manually inspect every line generated at which point the engineering time to develop in React > native)

2 Likes

Did something horrible happen? Or are they still expected on Android Beta today? (Unless you define the end of the week as another day) :joy:

3 Likes

Surely your not surprised by an android no show by now?!!

2 Likes

For my work we donā€™t have iOS devs and Android devs, just app devs.

Which isnā€™t to say that there arenā€™t complexities, there definitely are, but it is also definitely possible to start cross training.

I can confirm nothing horrible happened! Instead, something very beautiful is rolling out to you at this exact moment. :blush: We hope you enjoy Pots! :honey_pot::honey_pot::honey_pot:

11 Likes

Iā€™ve just had the update :sunglasses:

Yep, in the Beta channel now :grin::grin:

7 Likes

Nothing like living life right at the bleeding edge of tech :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

(Nb: for those with the pulse graph enabled, this update also adds an ā€œoverdraftā€ horizontal line)

Thought Iā€™d give it one last check today and as if by magic there it was :+1::joy:

Oooo, updated, works well :grin: I have to admit though, I do prefer the iOS UI. :sob:

Monzo.me is also reborn :open_hands:

4 Likes

Theyā€™re not allowed to use the same UI on Android, because then people will claim that Monzo prefer iOS and donā€™t design for Android. :wink:

5 Likes