POLL: Where do you currently bank? And will you switch?

Monzo current account. Was with Nationwide previously and briefly switched to Starling before getting my Monzo invite.

1 Like

I currently use the U account but just joined the Monzo preview so am thinking of making that my main account

1 Like

Currently with Santander but since I have opened my Monzo CA, I have switched my salary to be paid into that.

I will still keep with DD’s with Santander for the next month or two and then switch over to Monzo completely…

2 Likes

Currently have accounts with NatWest and Tesco. I’ll probably keep both, as NatWest’s branches are useful and Tesco pays good interest and cashback in Tesco stores.

I have the Monzo preview but not sure if I’m going to stick with it - will probably use Starling as my main account.

1 Like

Just out of interest, what works better with Starling for you? Is it something Monzo could do better perhaps?

2 Likes

Yes I’d like to know as well as I am thinking of moving to Starling instead now.

I wouldn’t say there’s any particular thing that Starling does better, and any features they currently have that Monzo don’t, I’m sure Monzo will get pretty soon (and vice versa). In terms of the raw product, I see very little difference - they’re both early products, but both great.

It’s more just that I find myself disliking some of the directions Monzo is heading in. They come across more as a startup that happens to be in banking, with all the haphazardness that tech startups bring, where as Starling seems to be more a new bank that is using modern technology. Sure, they’re both early stage, but Starling just seems more considered. Some of Monzo’s moves, like crowdsourcing strategic decisions, constant overdraft pricing and ads in the feed have left a bad taste in my mouth. Maybe it’s just my perception, but they seem to be guided more by a desire to be different than a desire to make the best choice.

Maybe Monzo’s strategy is better - I can certainly see the argument that you’re not going to win customers by being a normal bank with better tech and customer service, and that you need to be starkly different to make inroads. Personally, though, I think I prefer Starling’s approach.

Edit: I don’t want to get into a flame war about whose favourite bank is better. There are some things that Monzo does better, and if they’re important to you, good for you. I’m glad both exist.

Currently with Nationwide, I’ll probably stick with them for DDs/Salary but transfer all non-regular payments out to my Monzo.

Until a point where Monzo adds support for saving pots - I’m still going to need to keep my Nationwide account open.

1 Like

5 posts were merged into an existing topic: Feedback on testing energy partnerships

I didn’t want to either :slight_smile: I just wanted to understand another perspective so thank you for sharing! I totally get some of the points you bring up and to be honest you’re right, at this early stage both are very similar and it really is preference just as I prefer Sublime Text over Atom.

1 Like

Them’s fighting words :wink:

4 Likes

I’m pretty much trapped with my current bank for the next ~6 years. The joys of being a student.

But day-to-day is all going to be on Monzo.

1 Like

I posted this poll, but today all the existing votes have disappeared and it states no voters. I can see the options, but no voting tick boxes on any options, and none of my vote selections are shown.

Can I ask, is this the same view for everyone?

yes…but also seeing this on other polls on here too

1 Like

also seeing that. RIP in peace polls

2 Likes

Polls may be entirely broken. Will investigate and escalate if required. Do not adjust your TV set, etc.

3 Likes

Sad face.

But…

Monzo to the rescue!!

Can you look at this unread thing as it’s been going on all month now too?

1 Like

I wanted to try both but the Starling app won’t run on root.

In your opinion and with what you know of both, would it be worth getting hold of an unrooted phone to try Starling?

1 Like

Probably not. I mean, they’re both unfinished products with fairly similar functionality - Monzo is more polished in some areas, Starling in others. If you like playing with shiny new tech, then it’s fun having both, but I wouldn’t say it’s worth a lot of effort as in the end they’re not all that different.

Basically, if you just enjoy experimenting with different banks, I’d try Loot or Revolut (if they work on root, I don’t know if they do). Loot’s app is a bit buggy, but the card is really nice looking. No they’re not technically banks, but functionally they have most of the features.

If you’re not interested in experimenting for the sake of it, but just want to find the best solution, then I wouldn’t think it’s worth getting an extra device just to try Starling. It’s not functionally very different to Monzo - if you like Monzo, you probably won’t find much at Starling to sway you, and if you don’t like Monzo, you’ll probably dislike Starling for the same reasons.

2 Likes