POLL: Where do you currently bank? And will you switch?

Just curious, and a bit of fun.

Please select where you currently hold a current account (you can select as many options as you like).

In the comments, say whether you’ll be moving your main bank account to Monzo when the current account is fully up and running.

• B
  • Barclays
  • Bank of Scotland
  • Clydesdale
  • Co-operative
  • Danske
  • First Direct
  • Halifax
  • HSBC
  • Lloyds
  • Metro
  • Nationwide
  • NatWest
  • Royal Bank of Scotland
  • Santander
  • Smile
  • Starling
  • Tesco
  • TSB
  • Ulster
  • Yorkshire
  • Other (add in comments)

0 voters

5 Likes

I’ve already fully moved to Monzo’s CA offering (direct debits moved, standing order for rent set-up), my other current account is just “there”. I use it to pay my credit card bill.

7 Likes

Despite my twinges of concern over joint accounts I’ve basically moved most things to the preview already :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I’m with First Direct. Will I fully switch? Not decided yet, however I have switched my salary and a few DDs, and reoccurring cards payments. I need to retain the ability to make 4-weekly payments which Monzo is yet to support. I also have a regular saver account with FD which I find useful for the Xmas season.
Monzo is already my regular bank; I can’t remember the last time I used my FD debit card other than to top up my Monzo prepay card, however it’s unlikely I’ll leave FD completely as I’ve never had cause to complain and they currently still serve a purpose as my back-up bank.

3 Likes

Metro Bank and no I won’t fully switch

2 Likes

I have acquired accounts at a few places due to having personal loans, credit card through the years, and a couple of mortgages, and I have never closed them. I find it useful for me to operate a ‘piggy bank’ approach to budgeting, where I divide my income into various pots for direct debits, investing, saving and spending etc. Although I currently use Monzo for all my spending, and think the pots feature will solve a lot of my moving money around, until it provides ‘pay day-to-pay day’ targets, I’ll be topping up on the first of every month and will be unable to do a full switch, sadly.

1 Like

I was with TSB (then LloydsTSB and now TSB again) since I was a kid. I’d just switched to RBS due to my annoyance at TSB’s fees, which were never clear, and the fact all their branches were miles from my home and office after the Lloyds breakup (my account was opened in Scotland, where I grew up, but I’ve lived in London for 20 years. It would have been nice if they’d asked which side of the business you’d like to stay with rather than ending up with the part with very few branches - I used to literally live on top of a LloydsTSB branch but after the split my nearest one was a long tube journey away).

Anyway, I got my invite to the CA preview literally a week after I got my RBS debit card, so I’m fully switched over. I’m keeping my RSB account as a backup but intend to use Monzo as my main account going forward.

1 Like

Main banking accounts with Santander and Lloyds. Both are student accounts with sizeable interest free overdrafts, so i won’t be ‘closing and switching’ as such, but I will be changing what I use the accounts for. I will move all my day to day spending to monzo, but keep moving money periodically to the other accounts to keep their overdrafts active. However I will use Lloyds & Santander to pay for accomodation / big bank transfers, so there are no issues with rejected payments and I have paper statements for them, which will incidentally help keep them as ‘active’.

2 Likes

Santander and I probably will close it eventually, don’t think I can do it by post though :confused: I already do most of my spending on Monzo but I cheat by using my Santander debit card for larger purchases (air tickets, phone) because I like to pretend I am within my targets for the month :joy:

Edited to add payments for housing and uni fees after seeing an earlier response! I pay £5-12k at one go and it would entirely bust my allowances for the month.

9 Likes

I’m 100% in with Monzo CA, just have a nominal amount in my RBS in case any unexpected charges come through.

Haven’t used my RBS debit card in over a month and it feels GREAT.

6 Likes

Yes I was a TSB customer since my childhood and through my student days (the fact they didn’t offer a full student account helped keep me overdraft-free!) and endured the pain of the transition to LloydsTSB. Would you believe when they split my credit card and savings account ended up at Lloyds and my current account at TSB!

Got the preview card a week ago and almost fully set up and switched. Just waiting on a couple more dd and my first weekly paycheck to land next week. But using it for everything already and the insight into how much i spend daily is already making me think about taking steps to reduce the outflow.

Except tonight; tonight is Friday night.

5 Likes

I have switched all but 1 DDs and my Salary will be coming into Monzo CA next week. So all in :slight_smile:️.
I’ll keep Santander until 5% mobile payments cash back offer is over and paid into my account.

2 Likes

Smile Bank and nope not fully as the overdraft fee charged per day is too high with Monzo.

1 Like

Switched to Starling this month. Was very interested in Monzo but I won’t be switching again for a while. The foreign ATM thing plus the overdraft cards have further convinced me to be happy where I am for now. But I’ll remain a lurker…who knows what will happen with all these start ups…

4 Likes

Already moved to Monzo :wink:

2 Likes

Halifax and no, I won’t be making the full switch.

1 Like

Currently with First Direct. I think at first I am going to keep the majority of my direct debits etc. with them and salary will still paid in. So what I will do is transfer all of my money not already allocated for bills to Monzo so I know what I can actually spend. At the moment the £250 free overdraft with First Direct would stop me fully switching to Monzo as my only current account as I like the fact that I have that for emergencies. However in the future, I would think about a full switch once I no longer feel I need the buffer.

1 Like

I was going to switch my account but will wait and see Monzo’s decision on the recent overseas ATM charges poll. If they implement 1% EU 2% ROW then I will switch but if they follow the votes and go for the 3% then I will switch to Starling.

3 Likes

I might switch in the future but at the present I think I will just use it in the same way as the prepaid card and just dump my spends there at the start of the month.

1 Like