POLL: Card Colour

Technically, it should be. The card background is just an image in what is effectively a signed zip file that gets built for each update of a card for a particular device just as a regular Wallet pass.

Any problems would either be in policy or if Iā€™m wrong about who in the chain builds and signs the final file.

I donā€™t think thatā€™s quite right as itā€™s definitely not a picture. It gets the details via an image but I donā€™t believe thatā€™s stored.

It seems like something that shouldnā€™t be a problem but Apple does have some weird policies at times. I can understand not allowing an animated version or users to add an image but a level of customisation would be nice.

Two different cards from the same account would be nice. Then I could have one that is automatically billed as an expense and another for personal.

By picture, I donā€™t mean photo. Iā€™m not completely sure how Apple do it, Iā€™d assume connecting to the bankā€™s general Apple Pay API to obtain the signed zip as @RichardR said. The camera is used to obtain the information to tell your phone which bank to connect to.

If the vector image of the card is drawn on the phone, and I think it might after looking at their documentation, then hopefully Apple have opened up that area of the OS to third party app extensions.

1 Like

You are right Ben, its part of the Bank onboarding to ApplePay (which is actually done via Visa and Mastercard rather than a link between the bank and Apple).

Onboarding and configuration to ApplePay is run as projects involving the bank and the card scheme (visa, mastercard) involving configuration and testing.

1 Like

Given the (very likely) assumption that Monzo does not, and never will, actually manufacture the cards themselves, would it actually cost them anything to offer a choice? Some other banks do. In fact iā€™m given to understand that itā€™s a standard thing in some parts of the world.

1 Like

Just re-floating a previous idea that I came up with and may satisfy some of us

From the vending machine, you could choose from a variety of available colours, or even print your own colour or photo ey? :wink:

Personally though, I still opt for a bright and eye-catching card and I love the hot coral colour.

Interesting idea! I remember hearing about a bank that would print you an embossed card in branch on application. You could imagine getting a ā€˜vending machineā€™ set up to do that as part of a promo campaign (ā€œsee how easy it is to sign up for monzoā€)

1 Like

That would likely be Metro Bank (Under ā€œSame-day account openingā€).

They can produce a card, cheque book and set up Apple Pay in the branch on the same visit you open the account.

I am; it hadnā€™t occurred to me before seeing your comment as a reason, but perhaps thatā€™s why I donā€™t get the excitement over the :hot_pepper: coral cardā€¦

Or maybe itā€™s just because Iā€™m boring, and like boring-coloured things.

2 Likes

looked thru all my cards today and apart from differentiating the bank by the card colour there were also issues over reading the embossed number. I found white on coral, silver on black, silver on purple all easy to read, but the numbers on a blue or green background harder. In the particular case of blue branding there is the scientific fact that blue light has a focal length different to all other colours and focuses slightly displaced from the back of the eye.

While purple was a nice colour with Monese and Starling both using a similar colour now it makes it harder to differentiate their cards at a glance. Having a colour other banks are not using is a real big plus for speed of identification, but then ensuring any embosing is going to contrast with the background colour chosen

6 Likes

I would say Hot Coral! Personally, I think it stands out more in my wallet. Plus, people have complimented my ā€˜bright cardā€™ while paying! Itā€™s great :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
As well it would be a good idea that when the current accounts are launched, Monzo would give us the option to choose between these two colours for our card (or whatever colours theyā€™ll launch with) :grinning:

4 Likes

Its also a business thingā€¦ In the ego / competitive kind of positions, where picking up a nights expenses schmoozing or drinks bill is part of the bribe / deal sealingā€¦ There IS a measure of what kind of plastic you carry indicates net worth and performanceā€¦ Its like what flavor timepiece or the quality of your suit and shoesā€¦ Sure it might be dick measuring silly stuff, but like it or not there is some reality to it.

The hot coral might be fine in other situations but you want something subtle / dark and professional looking in that situation. I am going to guess the current user base is much younger and less involved in that kind of issues.

2 Likes

I supply prepaid visa cards to contractors / employees and others who work for me where they dont have bank accounts. I get branded prepaid masterdards for my company in my company colors and logo and the costs are negligible in lots as low as 100ā€¦ I do need to batch order them though.

1 Like

I think it is the other way around with more senior businessmen more mature and confident happy to show the card but young men with their first card still insecure and worried their mates may joke about any vaguely pink card be it coral or salmon colour.

3 Likes

I dont find that in the competitive mindset sales types I deal with AT ALL !! And thats up to people throwing down centurion etc type cardsā€¦ Personally I am all about the kickbacks, I want that chase sapphire preferred dealieā€¦

1 Like

I would really like that navy card in the example above or black. The example just looks so lovely and classy. A couple of friends love the idea of Monzo but donā€™t like the colour of the current card.

2 Likes

I think there should be a choice. The original Monzo coral, or one of the navy/black ones. Or maybe a more radical idea would be to issue 2 cards for the same account, allowing you to use whichever card suited the situation (work/leisure). I donā€™t know if this can be done, but it would certainly be a first amongst the banks.

2 Likes

Black would be bad ass!

Iā€™d also vote for black

I think the navy one looks a lot better but I would love to be able to customize my card (for a fee).

1 Like