Pingit RIP 🪦

It’s actually happening; got the email that Pingit is going away on 30 June

2 Likes

So if you have Barclays account, one will be able to do paym via Barclays app.

But wondering if I should move my paym elsewhere.

Monzo does not have paym. I guess I can compare paym experience elsewhere to see what I like best.

1 Like

Serious question - when did you last use paym?

Last autumn pre lockdown.

I book tennis courts to play in a league. And then we are meant to split the costs for the court. So I am like please open your bank app and do one off payment to my mobile number for £3.50 or whatever. As normally doing bank transfer is a faff.

If they don’t have revolut / monzo / starling near by pay.

1 Like

Interesting. I guess it’s just a faff the first time, if it’s a known ongoing thing then it’s less so.

When I do collections for people leaving work, or for our 5-a-side, I just used monzo.me, then people just put their card details in. Guess paym works for you :smiley:

1 Like

It’s singles tennis. So it literally is one off payment, from one person, who one is unlikely to play again. As the local tennis league is single round robin, and when a new round starts most people are different as people get promoted / demoted / join / dropout.

And yeah, nobody wants to store the person details for the next time, as there will not be a next time.

2 Likes

Now Pingit is closing down, I truly hope that Monzo will now introduce mini cards and/or wearable payment devices.

I really do use Pingit regularly. I have their card as backup in a pocket of my mobile phone case, and a mini card within a loop on my watch strap.

Others used my Pingit account details when making PAYM transactions to me.

I think it’s time those things go the way of the dodo. These days you have Apple/Google/Samsung/Garmin pay so you can pay with your watch or phone and it doesn’t require a separate top up. Is playing with a coffee cup really that much more convenient than paying with the phone?

Why use the mini card instead of whatever pay your phone supports?

2 Likes

To use Garmin Pay I currently have to use Curve, Starling, or Revolut.

There is Santander too, but they pulled zero card before I could apply. :sob:

Cause ideally I want a credit card as my watch payment.

Well then link your credit card of choice to Curve, then pay with Curve through Garmin Pay!

That works with everything except American Express.

1 Like

In that sort of situation it’s an ideal solution!

1 Like

I don’t like it. Would rather have things native.

If things go wrong, it will be one more party for o chase things up with.

Well it’s an option - keep things native or, if you want to, use Garmin Pay via Curve (which provides a capability you otherwise wouldn’t have, unless using one of the small number of participating banks directly).

Phone and smart watch batteries die. Wallets get mislaid.

I always ensure I have £15.00 credit in my Pingit account, in case of emergencies.

I always have £15.00 literally to hand, thanks to the mini card in my watch strap.

You can buy a keychain tube, and roll a £20 into it.

But I guess many places are cashless these days.

ICard keyfob is a good Pingit replacement

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.