Payments on Android out now!

http://monzo.com/blog/2016/12/06/payments-android/ :tada:

9 Likes

That ‘menu’ is one of the ugliest know to man. If you’re whiting out the entire screen, why not use more of it rather than tiny labels and tiny icons.

This is partly Monzo conforming with Google’s material design guidelines but the labels could be changed.

It’s worth remembering that a person has worked hard to create the best possible design for you here & this is an iterative process - it’s not going to be perfect first time, every time - when you choose how to phrase your feedback.

8 Likes

For material design if you’re showing text and an icon it should be a proper menu [See “The floating action button can transform into a single sheet of material which contains all the actions.” in the link you provided]. If you’re just using an icon then the type used in the app right now is fine.

5 Likes

I wonder if anyone else is experiencing this problem. I have 4 friends (that I know of) who use Monzo at the moment but only 1 of them shows on my “contacts who have monzo” list. If could be that some of them haven’t enabled payments yet but I know for sure that at least 1 of them has as I’ve sent her money before (through iPhone previously) and I have received money from her. Has this happened to anyone else?

I’d check with your friend who you think should be in the list. This Enable Monzo With Friends setting was only rolled out in the new update, the old P2P transfers didn’t have to be enabled.

2 Likes

Thanks Alex, indeed after an app update on the other side it worked.

1 Like

The Monzo implementation matches Google’s Inbox app, it’s within spec. Other apps like Drive use the action sheet because the list of actions can grow to more than 6.

For 2-5 items, I think the style used by Monzo (and Inbox) is a lot more usable as there’s less cognitive overhead; it helps you focus quickly on the options presented.

1 Like

The material designs guidelines don’t explicitly mention tool tips / labels.

The calendar app does it the same way as Monzo - and that’s “supposed” to be a token Material Design app

But the FAB button is bad design as people see the (+) as add money, not add a transaction item. Really there should be a “contacts” item in the drawer

1 Like

Thanks so much for enabling this! Have a problem though that one of my friends is trying to send me money but on her iPhone it’s saying that I haven’t got payments enabled, even though I have and have sent her money. Any way around this or is it because I have only just enabled it and the system needs time to catch up?

I have also found cases of this. Could it be anything to do with the complicated phone number hashing process?

is it not to do with being " just" on the “old” Monzo Android app , perhaps being on the Beta testing version of the app having reloaded it and maybe rebooting your phone will solve this ?

Following on from this discussion -

how should Android users enable payments so that they can use this feature?

The first time you click the Send Money button, you get asked to enable payments. After that you can view the contact list and make payments.

1 Like

Sorry for picking this up a little late - but I think that the ‘plus’ discussion is a worthwhile one to have. I’d agree that there’s an element of ambiguity about a plus symbol in this context - but given that Google recommend the following set as best practice, I’m a little stumped as to what might be better. What do you reckon?

I suppose that this is meant to represent the ‘most common action’ and so it’ll be interesting to see what it becomes when the app graduates to an actual account. What would be the most common action that we’re looking for then…

2 Likes