Payment delay between HSBC and Monzo

Yesterday i sent money between my HSBC account and my Monzo account and it was instant. Today i have tried to send money and it hasn’t appeared yet. I have checked that the account details are correct and everything; the money has left my HSBC account but hasn’t arrived in my Monzo account. Has anyone else had a similar issue? Is it a fault on HSBC side (i.e. extensive fraud check), if so, why was it instant yesterday? Or is it a fault on Monzon side? Again, why was it instant yesterday then?

Hi @ABrown92,

Monzo apply payments to your account as soon as they hit their system, I’d imagine that it’s being held on HSBC’s end.
It may be worth speaking to HSBC first to see if you can find anything out.
After which maybe drop Monzo a message via the in app chat to see if there is anything they can do :slight_smile:

Great, thanks! Will try to get hold of HSBC - have messaged Monzo though. Just a bit irritating that it was instant the first time and then being held the second time

1 Like

There is a help topic about HSBC on the app help

2 Likes

Silly HSBC :man_facepalming:

3 Likes

Thank you!! I just sent a £1 to myself again, and there is a little message that says it will take 2 hours - which i should have read earlier! But kind of expected the instant transfer like yesterday! But thank you for sharing that with me :blush:

1 Like

My Mum sent me a tenner from her HSBC last week and was instant.

As above, its probably an issue from their end, not monzo.

When I’ve transferred money from First Direct (an HSBC brand) it warns it can take up to two hours. Usually it takes only seconds, but I have seen it take several minutes up to around 1/2 hour - so it’s likely it’s HSBC’s system and your transfer will arrive soon.

Just remember the golden rule with faster payments - it has to be completed by the end of the next business day. So no panic unless it hasn’t reached your account by tomorrow night

From the faster payment website

Provided the sending and receiving bank/building society are Direct Participants of Faster Payments, payments are usually available almost immediately, although they can sometimes take up to two hours.

These timescales can still apply if either the sending or receiving bank is not a Direct Participant of Faster Payments.

Some payments will take longer, especially outside normal working hours.

You should talk to your bank/building society if the speed of the payment is particularly important.

As a minimum, all financial institutions in the UK must abide by the Payment Services Directive (PSD) - this states that any payments made by mobile, internet or phone banking (including standing orders) must arrive by the end of the following business day at the latest.

You should contact your bank or building society directly for more information on the exact process they follow when you request a payment to be made.

1 Like