✅ Offer credit card 💳

Oh, I know the theory. I’ve just not come across (in real life) anyone who claims to have actually had to do it in practice. As a result, people who’ve had to go through it many times seem like they should be statistically interesting in some way so I’m interested in real world examples just to see.

5 Likes

It depends on the level of financial protection the supplier has…

I put £200 down on a car to reserve for a test drive last year.
During the test drive it had a weird engine issue.
The garage said I’d get my £200 back within 5 days. Nothing came through, I chased them multiple times with no response (they went very quiet on the matter).
I put a claim in against Amex and they sorted it very quickly :raised_hands:t3:

1 Like

Nice, thanks.

McDonald’s have once triple charged me for one transaction. Few clicks on Amex’s app/website and they cancelled all those false charges

2 Likes

My last case was an early booking for overnight accommodation in London (for a concert several months ahead), via an online booking company. As the concert drew near, I thought I would just check on the accommodation. Just as well I did, as the booking company had not paid the hotel and had actually gone bust in the interim period.As there was nothing in the pot for unsecured creditors, I had to seek recourse from the credit card issuer to obtain my refund. (And had to quickly place another booking for the night’s accommodation).

The reason a credit card issuer is liable but a debit card issuer isn’t is because the credit card issuer is governed by the consumer credit legislation but a debit card issuer isn’t (because they are not providing you with what is effectively a loan - unlike the credit card issuer).

1 Like

I had a cycle nicked fewer than 100 days after I’d paid for it on my Nationwide CC, though that was so long ago I can’t really remember if I claimed on Sec75 or Purchase Protection specific to that card.

But last year I was ready to order carpets from Carpetright before Easter, for delivery and fitting after, just when it announced it was on shaky ground, financially, so I made sure I bought them (£5000 worth) on my CC in case Carpetright went titsup over the holidays. It didn’t, but I ignored a 10% cashback deal on a debit card for the protection my CC offered.

I think in these times, when even big name holiday companies and shops can suddenly announce they’re going bust overnight, it’s wise to even just put a quid’s deposit onto a CC.

2 Likes

That happened to me as well. I wonder if it was the same branch?

All interesting. I’m not suggesting I don’t do the same, just that since I’ve never had to claim I never really think about the protection side of things. As a result, it doesn’t drive a deliberate choice on my part

1 Like

Mine was in Bristol, just outside the Cabot Circus shopping centre

Moved this to the Feedback & Ideas section so it can be voted on.

5 Likes

Would love a bright yellow monzo credit card, it would mean I could cut ties completely with one of my high street banks.

I’ve added my vote.

Fintech credit cards seems to be quite a sparse field, given there’s currently 1(?) actually available?

There’s a few out there (in small beta groups) along with Tandem who seem more FinLegacy than FinTech…

I think the question I’d want to know is, what do you (and others), want a FinTech credit card for?

Would you move your spending away from your Monzo card to the CC?

Is it for large purchase only, or daily spending?

Looking to pay it off immediately, or use it to spread payments on bigger balances?

I find the Amex app/service to be as FinTech as anyone - Instant notifications, slick app, great CS… it’s only lacking in acceptance for some people.

I see little advantage in using a CC for daily spend, unless you are getting something back (rewards, cash back etc etc).

I wonder if these start ups have the room to offer this? Appreciate Tandem offers 0.5%, but it’s not amazing.

Starling are due to release a CC this year, and my bet would be that it is literally a CC version of their debut card and app.

So section 75 protection aside, it’s business as usual (again, just my guess).

I’m an advocate of using CC’s to your advantage, but a FinTech CC with little extra benefit would be pointless IMO.

2 Likes

Currently got an Aqua card and First Direct Gold and pretty much spend exclusively on them.

Would like a credit card with instant notifications, Google Pay support and no foreign transaction fees. Basically Tandem but would be more trusting of a Monzo or Starling CC.

Depending on your situation (and where you shop), my advice would be to get an Amex card for all UK spend where possible.

Unless you are abroad a lot, or do a ton of shopping online in foreign currency, you can put that spend on your Monzo card (for most people, I’d imagine foreign spend is a very very small percentage of their overall spend).

Amex has GPay support, instant notifications and a very good app.

My intention is to get Amex and Tandem for definite, however I’m currently a student and therefore ineligible without having any sort of income to speak of.

Aha! That changes things slightly.

The others I can think of off the top of my head are JAJA and Tymit.

Not sure how far they’ve got to giving people access though.

Search on the forums and you’ll find some info. :grinning:

I don’t rate the Amex app quite that highly. Whilst it’s certainly better than any app I’ve used from a traditional bank, the absence of transaction enrichment, spending analytics, and budgeting makes it inferior to Monzo and other fintech apps in my eyes. I’d like Monzo to provide a credit card that has these modern features. Assuming it doesn’t have rewards, I’d use it as a supplement to my debit card, mainly for larger purchases (section 75 protection), rather than day to day spending. I’d like the spending analytics to combined with the debit card analytics, rather than separate.

To date, Starling haven’t released anything that has tempted me to give it a try. But this probably would. Debit card and credit card with common modern features and common UI is precisely what I want.