Octopus Saving Sessions

I was looking at Octopus Agile which looks similar to Go?

Free money is free money I guess. But if I was WFH I could make more than that by keeping my computer switched on for those hours.

Itā€™s suspended at the moment, but yes itā€™s similar. Although Iā€™d argue Go would be a better choice when they become available again. Agile due to the market would be all over the place with pricing I suspect.

Edit - I think Go is still available itā€™s just Agile not available

These are my daily usage on Go, the app also compares it to what the prices on Agile were at the time. You can see the saving for Go is quite significant, approx 60%

Note - my Go prices are super cheap at the moment, itā€™s fixed until May next year and hasnā€™t seen any of the price rises weā€™ve seen over the last year.

1 Like

Ah brill. Iā€™ll check it out and will likely switch - thank you :blush:

The thing isā€¦

Go has fixed off-peak times (00:30 - 04:30 if my ā€˜Goā€™ memory is correct), so everything used outside of this window is peak.

Agile, on the other hand, is totally variable and can peak/trough multiple times during a day cycle. BUTā€¦ Agile has become very expensive. On the flip-side, Agile can also give -x.xx, where you get paid to use electricity but those days seem to have vanished.

From experience, my advice would be:

• If you can ā€˜load-shiftā€™ to off-peak timeframes (including EV charging), then Go is the way to ermā€¦ go. If you can. Go is actually an EV tariff so you may not get it unless you can prove you have an EV

• If you canā€™t - try Agile and keep an eye on the costs (Octopus Watch / Bright apps) to be able to shift loads to the cheapest slots

Everything is now expensive. Iā€™ve been on Agile, Go, Go-faster and now on Intelligent Octopus and continuing to chase the least expensive option. Which is still massively expensive compared to 12-18 months ago!

1 Like

Agile isnā€™t worth it and hasnā€™t been for a long time, thatā€™s why most people shifted over to Go. If I hadnā€™t my bills would be 70% higher on average.

Thereā€™s no requirement to have an EV, I donā€™t have one. The tariff is built for one, but Octopus donā€™t care if you have one or not.

The T&C do state if you donā€™t have an EV theyā€™ll switch you to another tariff, but theyā€™ve still not done that with me and itā€™s been a couple of years now.

2 Likes

If you donā€™t have an EV, how do you make it work for you?
Do you have a home battery system perhaps?

Put the washer and dryer on at stupid oā€™clock

By the way, itā€™s not recommended to run the washing machine and dryer whilst you sleep at night, in case it causes a fire.

2 Likes

Managed 40 years without incident, Iā€™ll be fine

4 Likes

Iā€™m pretty sure the only reason you havenā€™t been asked to provide evidence of an EV is because you were one of the lucky ones (as was I) that were automatically renewed at the old rate. Those who actually received the renewal email have had to provide evidence, from what Iā€™ve seen.

Thatā€™s a good rule of thumb to knowing when a fire might start, is it?

3 Likes

Only needs to happen once.

I could step outside and get hit by a car, whatā€™s your point. Doesnā€™t stop me going outside. No oneā€™s in control of whatā€™s going to happen next. Iā€™ll not be doing the oh what if, so I best not do anything again.

1 Like

Insurance will pay out, itā€™s all good

1 Like

Er, you are in control if you donā€™t run those appliances whilst you sleepā€¦? Youā€™ll probably be fine. It doesnā€™t make the advice incorrect. Itā€™s obviously risky enough to warrant the fire brigade warning against doing it.

4 Likes

Not really much use if you and your family die in a house fire.

1 Like

Iā€™m literally not fussed what is recommended or not, you do what you want to do, Iā€™ll do me. No one elseā€™s concern.

3 Likes

At least itā€™ll be warm and toasty, got to die at some point in time