Notches..... Embrace or hide?

It’s a notch :face_with_raised_eyebrow:. And frankly…?

(I’ve got nothing…:smirk:)

1 Like

Take it or leave them I find. The only annoying part is watching a film and losing part of the screen due to not have if video is stretched.

I generally don’t notice the notch on my XS. Sometimes my eyes play a trick on me when I open certain light-coloured apps from my dark home screen and as they zoom in, it looks like the notch slides in from the top. Anyone else get that? It’s super weird.

The only time the notch annoys me is when apps, especially games, don’t allow for the notch and curved corners of the screen and just draw UI elements ‘behind’ them. That ping pong king game that I think @nickh made a thread about is guilty of this in some places.

1 Like

I think more and more developers will start utilising the notch space with potentially useful features.

Until the camera and sensors can be placed under the screen, I don’t see an alternative to the notch, without going full forehead!

IMHO the Pixel 2 XL looks better than the 3 XL.

1 Like

At first I was a little wary of the notch but I’ve learnt to get used to it very quickly!

There’s a decent video of the OPPO Find X here.

Personally, I’d rather have the notch than any “pop up” like this - The only time I can imagine myself being happy with no notch, is if they put all the tech under the screen.

The phone looks nice, but that pop up seems a liability!

Can’t wait to hear about all the reports of the “Pop Up” mechanism breaking when it’s open and the phone’s dropped.

1 Like