Non-plastic Bank Cards

Scammers delight, in my view.

Instead of cannabis farms, we’d have bamboo card farms.

When I tested out Revolut, they sent me a new card regardless. They do virtual cards yes but as a separate thing when I was trying their account

Back being serious…

Why are cardboard cards not a thing? Essentially just a thicker business card that’s super compressed?

Would break too easily, wouldn’t it ?

Someone tried but they got board.

I like the bamboo idea it would be like growing money on trees.

1 Like

Bamboo is basically a grass, and is already used extensively in the East for many things - scaffolding being an impressive one, for example - and because it grows so fast I don’t think there’s much “destructiveness” in the process as implied. It’s not like palm oil where swathes of land is cleared for it, or logging where it takes years to regrow the trees (if at all).

2 Likes

@Webby53096 - I signed up for a Virtual Card only, they didn’t send me a Physical card! Allbeit, I didn’t want one.

Unlike Monzo, you don’t get that choice/option :thinking:

1 Like

yea hopefully Monzo will add virtual cards sometime soon, I know its something that they said they’re exploring for the potential future.

Don’t like anything about Revolut lol, their app, their speed and their business ethics are poor as hell so id rather stay away lol

5 Likes

I will Close Revolut soon anyways… I don’t need 2 accounts, and I think I prefer Monzo anway :slight_smile:

2 Likes

No, not really. Bamboo grows fast and is carbon negative. Making it resilient for regular use is another issue. It requires a surface finish that is both durable and flexible yet water resistant. Wet bamboo decays rapidly. Cards are too big so downsizing them by cutting holes in them would reduce plastic use by more than 50% alone.

Some things to consider.

2 Likes

Bamboo is extremely tough, sustainable and renewable.
It would only take one or two hours of growth to replace the amount used for the card.

Super invasive though…and very hard to eradicate once it starts spreading. Honestly, bamboo is the devil.

1 Like

Sadly if it’s bacon I’ll be munching on it all the time and eating my card like I eat my money away :upside_down_face:

1 Like

The new, eco-friendly cards will be made from either recyclable, biodegradable or reclaimed ocean plastics.

Around 6 billion payment cards are produced every year worldwide. These are usually replaced every three to four years, collectively contributing to around 5.7 million tons of plastic in landfill, according to Mastercard.

Why even have cards at all?

Better investment in the reliability of contactless transactions and look into withdrawals from ATMs/banks without a card and you can cut it out at together.

I’ve found contactless via Apple Pay (much higher/no limit) to virtually have removed the need of a card for me to the point that I just don’t take one out anymore unless I have a specific need.

The higher general contactless limit also helps as some retailers (Tesco, for example) don’t support the higher limit for mobile payments which makes no sense as they’re authenticated (other than, in Tesco’s case, to push their crappy version of mobile payments in their app).

Contactless ATMs being rolled out more widely would be great, either with authenticated mobile wallets or contactless+pin (which I have no idea why we don’t have in the UK anyway, as this is common in Europe). But I can’t see this happening for some time, if at all with the rise of going cash free, particularly in post COVID society.

1 Like

I use GPay 90% of the time but I can’t take the leap to not taking a card out with me. I just don’t have faith that my phone won’t die or something and I lose the ability to pay for something (especially services already rendered like food).

3 Likes

As someone with an Apple Watch and an iPhone, I don’t worry about this too much. I’ve never had my watch run out on me and most of the time I’m in the car where my phone is charging or fully charged.

However, I understand that it can be a risk not to take out a card at all and have been caught maybe once or twice in the past when the contactless limits were lower. Fortunately, I have a password manager with my card details and the merchant simply keyed the transaction in, but this may not always be possible.

It would be good if mobile devices had something like the 5 hour power reserve after running out like iPhone has for specified transit cards. Even if this was limited to the standard contactless limit due to it not being authenticated.

1 Like

I get too many occasions where contactless isn’t available or the limit is still £30 like at a museum I was at this weekend, thus no contactless option at all for the payment over £30 and needing to use chip and pin.