Newton Email returns!

This is interesting - did anyone here use this in the past?

So, Newton was shut down last year as they’d never managed to achieve profitability. It was then acquired by Essential (Andy Rubin’s company who made the Essential Phone), but then there were rumors that Essential weren’t doing so great as a company either.

So this is unexpected!

1 Like

I struggle to see who the target audience would be. That’s a hefty subscription.

1 Like

With Google’s Inbox by Gmail going the way of the dodo next month… :weary::cry::pensive:

I suppose it’s a nice time to investigate alternatives, though I don’t see myself paying $49/yr for an email client :exploding_head:

With Google’s Inbox by Gmail going the way of the dodo

There’s the official gmail app though. No need to move away from gmail.

1 Like

Aha :wink: If I liked Gmail, I’d never have moved to Inbox :smile:

Getting used to Gmail again will be, fun :sweat_smile: It’s shocking how limited it is compared to Inbox, bundles will be missed. As will reminders and link saving :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I’ve previously used it got a discount from them where I only paid £25 for the year, but when they was closing down I never got the remaining months back they said they was gonna give, I doubt if I’ll give it another try after that

There’s Spark, by Readdle if you’re on iOS. It’s very similar to Inbox.

I can’t understand why the Gmail app doesn’t support snoozing :man_shrugging:

1 Like

I’m not an iOS user :see_no_evil:

Gmail supports snoozing but that’s all it’s taken from Inbox :grimacing:

It does (has done since Gmail on the web had a Material refresh)

I was a massive Inbox user because of snoozing but switched back to Gmail when the sunset was announced. I got used to Gmail quicker than I thought after using Inbox since it launched as beta. The only thing I really miss now is auto Trip bundles (and the ability to bundle chosen emails together) - they were very useful. Coming soon to Gmail apparently…

I’ve never used Newton but it seems a bit bonkers to pay £49/year for an email client. There are so many good free ones around, including Outlook.

3 Likes

Thanks, @Anarchist, just grabbed it - looks nice.

1 Like

Yeah I used it when it was CloudMagic (and free), quite liked it. Then I got an email out of the blue saying that it had changed to Newton and would cost $49/year subscription. I not-particularly-politely told them where they could stick their Newton and I moved on to another free Android client, of which there are plenty. Currently using MyMail and it does the trick rather nicely imo.

Weirdly, they sent an email telling me that it will cease on 31st March, but they’ve just updated the iOS version.

The update was probably stripping things out or embedding a kill switch :grimacing:

(tin foil hat :innocent:)

1 Like