New to the EV world - what should I know?

Apologies, I missed that.
I’ll go back and have a read.

1 Like

With my Ioniq, i went from 19% to 100% and the total cost was £12 ish so saving on an ICE of about £28 a week on fuel…

2 Likes

From my calculations, the fuel savings from my proposed Ioniq 5 don’t offset the increased cost of the car itself.

But it’s in the ballpark and it’s a nicer car than I’d usually go for so kind of works out in the wash.

If I did more mileage it probably would be a better overall deal. My mileage probably doesn’t justify an EV.

2 Likes

Well I’ve had it just shy of one month. I’m just over 510 miles (I have 6000 yearly in contract)

Im getting an average of 3.0 Miles/kWh so it’s taken

510/3 = 170 of electricity

My tariff is same rate at 19.73p

170×0.1973 = £33.54

My ICE car got 25 mpg so 20.4 gallons

20.4 * 4.54609 = 92.740236 litres

My local Sainsbury’s is £1.45 a litre

So that would have cost £134.47

So about £100 less in fuel than my old ICE in winter.

I’m hoping that the 3.0 can be nearer to 4.0 with better weather and fewer motorway miles, most of this month has been motorway.

4*57 kWh usable = 228 range (WLTP is 250)

If I can get 4.0

510/4=127.5

127.5×0.1973 = £25.16

If I was on a 5p Octopus Go it’s

127.5×0.05=£6.38

However the 24p peak would totally screw me over unless I got a home battery system in place.

2 Likes

That’s my dilemma. Trying to work out whether I’d actually be better off with my annual mileage.
My everyday run-around is a Toyota Aygo (£12,400), I do about 5-6000 miles a year and the car averages 55mpg.
If someone with a better maths head than me wants to crunch the numbers, please feel free :grinning:

The EV definitely still works out more expensive than an equivalent ICE. I was paying £200pm for a Renault Clio and I’m now paying closer to £300pm for a Renault Zoe. With the fuel savings it’s not a massive difference but it’s still more expensive to own an EV.

If my mileage was higher then it would be pretty comparable.

1 Like

So I’m paying bang on £300 month. 36 months. Only 1 month initial.

As part of the deal I got £250 cashback, 1 years insurance, and the Smart Pro EV charger install. Servicing and RAC included too.

Fuel is basically £25-33 for the month hitting ~500 miles depending on the 3-4 Miles/kWh

=

£325-£333

An ICE that does 25 MPG would be £134 fuel
An ICE that does 50 MPG would be £67 fuel

If you could find an ICE estate ~£260 monthly and spend £67 on fuel then it’s exactly the same result.

However the equivalent estate with roughly the same size and specs, that can do a 7 second 0-60, and 50mpg would be £300+ monthly.

So I’m winning but it’s fairly even stevens at 6000 annual mileage :sweat_smile:

If I add up the freebies about £1500+ (£250 Cashback, £400 insurance?, £774 charger? Servicing £x? £100? RAC)

2 Likes

Thanks for the replies.
As much as I’d love to go down the EV route, it seems that at the moment, for my needs, a small petrol car is still going to work out cheaper over the life of the car.
It’s a shame really, especially the way that EV’s are being promoted at the moment.

There was a lengthy discussion over in the forbidden thread (Are you ready for an electric car?) about the affordability of EVs. Personally I think we’re still only really seeing £20k-£40k new EVs and what we’re still waiting on is the elusive sub £20k EVs.

Once we start seeing PCP deals sub £200pm then we are really into the realm of affordable EVs. At the moment there remains a financial barrier for most people (The cheapest electric cars on a PCP finance deal | What Car?).

5 Likes

Looking at the same 6000 miles, 36 months.

For just 1x these are basically the two “cheap” options.

Up! must be fairly similar to an Aygo. I wouldn’t recommend that though, probably ok if you don’t need to carry extra people or lots of luggage and only need it for short distances.

£300 Corsa-E or £300 MG5 I think I made the right choice.

I personally didn’t want to do more than 3yrs because of how fast the tech is moving.

1 Like

@Ivan1954 for a small car I would actually go for one of these next year if the price was right.

I bet they don’t sell it at the £15k range though. Because they can tack on another ten grand for UK people.

https://uk.ora-eu.com/

Edit:
In fact I’ve just seen its going to be £25k lol

Double the yuan

1 Like

That’s still a massive jump from the £129 PM I pay now.
My fuel bill is around £35-£40 a month.
As many have said, they have to come down drastically in price to make them viable to the majority of people.

Many thanks for the info though :+1:

2 Likes

Yeah I would say it’s going to be at least 2025 (if not later towards the end of the decade) before we start seeing competitive small cars that at least match ICE pound for pound.

UK prices for EVs are annoying, they are definitely inflated atm.

Imagine if that Ora actually sold at £12k over here, it would force other manufacturers to adjust. Instead they know they can say £25k and they’ll get sales.

Dacia Spring is going for about 17k euros in the Netherlands which should be about £15k if it does get a UK release (although they’ll round that up to £20k)
It’s a truly dreadful car though on quality, performance, battery, and safety.

1 Like

At the moment there’s still the idea of EV cars need to have all the gadgets as well. It’s got to have big touch screens, and smart buttons, and cars that recognise who’s in the driving seat and adjust and stuff like that.

That tends to add a couple of grand to the asking price - not necessarily because of manufacturing costs, but just because those are ‘premium’ features in cars.

VW showed off a concept car earlier this year, which may become the ID.2 - which didn’t have any screen and just had a smart phone dock and assumed people will use that instead. If they did follow through with that, and start to strip out the ‘premium’ features of EVs, that might help to get the price down to a more reasonable level.

2 Likes

Yeah I remember seeing this back in Sept

Volkswagen, is poised to preview its vital £17,000 ID 2 crossover, which will spearhead a major Volkswagen Group assault on the entry-level EV market when it goes on sale in 2025, with a concept model at the Munich motor show next week

I think you’re right in that current EVs tend to have all the bells and whistles as standard and there’s little to spec other than colour.

I think however a lot of this tech will be mandatory going forward so cars will be a bit more than usual. I remember reading that they’ll need to be fitted with speed detection systems, and I think forward collision detection.

A lot of people hate the every button is touchscreen or controlled via the main entertainment screen (although Tesla/Polestar seems to have pulled it off). One of bonuses of my MG5 for me is physical buttons and you can use the screen for Android Auto for Google Maps/Spotify

I literally have no idea about cars, especially petrol/diesel ones. How does the Dacia Spring compare to ‘traditional’ cars for roughly the same price (apart from the actual battery range).

Is it similar or worse on quality and safety specifically? On performance, a review I watch, if I remember rightly, described the 0-60 performance as ‘eventually got there’.

In terms of quality the parts are on par I think to ICE

in terms of performance 44 bhp and a 15 second 0-60 it’s slow even compared to the 89bhp Sandero that does 11 seconds. If you live in London where your commute gets you to 30mph tops then that’s fine but you wouldn’t be happy on normal roads or motorway.

In terms of battery it’s basically what you’d expect from almost a decade ago.

Good for 100 miles tops in average weather
Usable battery is 26kWh which is small

It has rapid charge but it’s capped to 34 kW DC which is pathetic.

In terms of safety it’s just been tested and got a 1 out 5 last week

On a side note not quite as bad as the sister car 2021 Zoe (Renault Zoe 80 kW electric ‘ZEN’) managed zero stars. Although that was because they took out existing safety tech like side airbags to save on cost. :see_no_evil:

Side impact looks sketchy

When you put it against current tech it’s easy to see why they get one and zero.

Also reviewed the other week the iX

:joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: