New feature for virtual cards

A digital disposable debit card, with the future possibility to switch its funding from different accounts. :wink:

1 Like

Perhaps it could be called a fungible token?

4 Likes

We should have a poll to see just how on-trend @Peter_G really is!

2 Likes

I’d describe it as the place I put my RSPCA subscription

14 Likes

9 Likes

That’s actually a pretty decent idea in itself. When I had plus I only ever made use of 4 of the 5 card limit. When I get it again, I think I’ll be using that fifth card exclusively for charitable donations and subscriptions.

Although, I did at one point use that fifth card to help my friend get out of a subscription they had already cancelled but were still getting charged for. Let them change the billing details to my virtual card, then once the active card check popped up, and their system allowed them to delete their own card details I promptly deleted the card. I hope sharing a virtual card in such a way wasn’t against the Monzo TOS, because that impressed him and he has since switched from NatWest as a result.

In fact, I think the ability to be able to loan someone a single use virtual card in a pinch, would be a decent feature too, when of course it can be segregated to a pot.

There’s so much expansive and adaptive potential for virtual cards, especially in the way Monzo have implemented them. With Revolut, they’re already pretty cut and dry, but that’s not the case with how Monzo have approached them. They’re arguably the most potentially transformative thing Monzo have done since they released the current account IMO. Execution absolutely was key with virtual cards, and Monzo nailed that.

3 Likes

Bravo :clap: this made me howl.

6 Likes

It’s a hard one and I’ll tell you why…

True story:
I ordered something from Screwfix the other day for click and collect, paid with my virtual card. Went and collected but when I got home the Mrs decided she didn’t like it and wanted a different one. I checked online they had the one she wanted me to get in stock and then went to try and exchange it. The one she wanted was cheaper so Screwfix insisted on refunding the difference and did I have the original car.

The look on their faces when i said no it’s a virtual card was absolutely priceless, I spent 5 minutes trying to explain to two guys and their manager what a virtual card was before completely giving up and insisting they just gave me a credit note as I had somewhere to be.

Before this I didn’t think the concept of a virtual card was complicated, now i don’t know what to think

6 Likes

:joy: :joy: :joy:

5 Likes

That was hilarious! I love a good running joke

:joy: Have to admit, no idea what the joke is!

2 Likes

I can really imagine how frustrating this would have been, but it’s also hilarious in my mind.

3 Likes

Monzo 'Dashboard' - Add your own data :eyes:

5 Likes

@Revels created a dashboard for people with Plus/Premium, in it there’s a section to rename merchants. As an example, a certain members only adult site was renamed to RSPCA so it appeared as that throughout the rest of the dashboard

Oh, @Alexxxxx got their first :arrow_up:

7 Likes

You know you spend too much time on the Forum when everyone who you talk about Spreadsheets, Fountain Pens and Thermostats with get a joke about the RSPCA.

6 Likes

Ironically, ‘Tom’ didn’t get the in-forum joke!

Pan_of_Irony

4 Likes

iCards - though that may not go down well with a certain American mega company :wink:

Maybe Digital Cards or Online Cards may be better. If you plan to allow adding to Apple Pay etc at somepoint then Digital Cards would be better than Online Cards I guess.

They aren’t the ones Monzo should worry about! These guys are:

2 Likes

A disposable card that you can bin after one use.