Multiple Savings Pots

I believe the Instant Access Savings Pots offering 3% interest, which is great. However, it would be better to be able to open multiple of these for different purposes. (eg Rainy Day, Holiday etc).

I wouldn’t mind if the total across all pots is limited or you couldn’t configure direct debits out of them or something like that.

10 Likes

Monzo are well aware, it’s been mentioned a hundred times in the thread above.

1 Like

Hopefully this will be one of the things they implement ASAP.

I think it may be problematic for monzo to allow multiple instant access savings pots as it makes regular pots obsolete.

I think a roundabout way of achieving a similar effect would be to raise either the interest rate/cap associated with the Monzo Plus/Premium interest. That way you;

• increase the appeal of using non savings pots
  • increase the appeal of Monzo Plus/Premium

In addition, I think Monzo need to think about ways to treat larger sums of money in a meaningfully different way so that the money in an instant access savings pot feels different to regular pots. Like I talked about here:

Regular pots aren’t obsolete, as you can’t have a direct debit from a savings pot.

1 Like

Things will change, but you do have to give any new product feature a bit of time, see what the user research is, and then iterate from there, fully expect that’s what’s being done, along with all the other savings and investment work going on

2 Likes

I disagree. Direct debits and payments with a virtual card can be paid from regular pots, this wouldn’t be true for savings pots so both have very different use cases.

1 Like

I hadn’t thought of this, I bet that’s why. Otherwise people will have a bills pot and then 19 non-bill pots gathering interest for their holidays, cars and haircuts.

So? If you keep track of the money in your savings pot you can do that anyway. That’s what I’m doing with a simple spreadsheet.

I even started keeping my “monthly spends” in it and I’ve been flexing everything then I’ll pay it off end of the month after getting a months interest on the cash.

That’s fair, I hadn’t considered the direct debits. But some people have been requesting that scheduled withdraws and direct debits should be a feature of the instant access savings pot, which would muddy that water even further.

If Monzo can afford to let everybody just have one savings pot accruing 3% interest, then maybe they should raise the plus/premium interest instead of allowing multiple instant access savings pots. Don’t get me wrong, I’d love to have multiple instant access pots, I’m just trying to put myself in Monzo’s shoes and consider it from their perspective.

1 Like

Regular pots should be for organising your day-to-day money, so having DD, virtual card payments and scheduled withdrawals makes sense.

Savings pots should encourage saving, so I like that there’s a bit of friction to withdrawing it. I’d even go as far as giving an option to set a grace period for withdrawals to deter impulsive withdrawals, but I guess that goes against the ethos of an instant access savings account

1 Like

The savings interest pot has made my other pots pretty redundant. Sure, I’ll leave money in my bills pot, but the other pots where I put money aside each month for clothes, gifts, stuff for the house, repairs etc have now all been moved to the savings pot because they were starting to get chunky.

This was a really important functionality for me to manage money and now I’m back in spreadsheet land which is ok but a shame.

Please can we have pots within our saving pots or some other sensible solution?

2 Likes

So we all love pots and know why they are great. But right now it doesn’t make sense to use (non interest bearing) pots. It does make sense to have your money in an interest bearing account. And monzo is best (instant). So right now I have all my savings in one monzo pot rather than having it nicely spread among multiple specific purpose pots. I have opened third party pots but as a workaround for this but it ain’t a smooth monzo-like experience (extra T&Cs, working day noice etc.).

Please add the ability to have multitude Monzo interesting bearing pots so I can split up my savings as we all did when interest rates were near zero.

2 Likes
5 Likes

Any sign of this being implemented? Very annoying not getting interest on the otherwise useful pots beyond Savings.

1 Like

Would be easier if all pots were interest bearing instead of having the option for multiple savings pots.

We love Monzo for the pots, but if you compare it to a normal current account (without pots) you would get interest on the entire balance, so why should that not apply with Monzo too?

It could be said the feature of having Monzo pots comes at the cost of not being able to earn interest on these balances as you would do in a regular interest bearing account.

4 Likes

Would love this as I am saving for different things: i.e. laptop, holiday, phone and deposit. Would be great to have separate ways of storing the money so I can keep track better and still earn interest! This is such a big feature it would motivate me to consider upgrading to plus for it!

2 Likes