Monzo's Tone of Voice

Monzo will be aware that they can’t please everyone. At the risk of sounding blunt, they won’t miss any customers who leave for this reason, as they’re not a good fit for the product.

You could say that the Ivy would lose me as a customer because I don’t like stuffy restaurants and sit-down dining. This doesn’t mean they should change themselves into McDonald’s to try and capture my patronage :joy:

11 Likes

So the only reason you don’t use Monzo as your main account is the tone of voice and use of emojis?

It would be difficult to find out the numbers who don’t use it as their main account for those reasons vs those who do

Maybe @hashbridge could give his opinion since he wrote this to begin with

There are a number of things that made me not use Monzo.

Other banks have better accounts on offer with many of the same features as Monzo. I found that the app was essentially one giant advert wanting you to upgrade your account.

The big one was the level of trust, which the tone of voice and use of emojis added to. I know my money is FSCS protection, but that isn’t the only thing I need trust for. I need to trust Monzo that they would actually be helpful if something went wrong, which I didn’t.

Didn’t you trust what some social media intern told you on Facebook about a card design and refuse to believe someone on here who actually had seen the card?

Maybe your perception of trust is warped.

I didn’t attack you. You do spend a lot of time here for a forum/bank you think is bad. I also haven’t defended Monzo.

Exactly, which is why your obsession with it was bizarre.

1 Like

Is this another of those I’m outraged posts which really don’t matter when you boil it down to an issue which isn’t really an issue.

3 Likes

No. I asked people what they thought of Monzo’s tone of voice. I also gave my opinion. It was a negative opinion. Everyone started jumping onto my negative opinion as if I insulted their child. They then started to attack my use of trust, my use of this forum, and myself discussing a card design.

I was never outraged with Monzo. I just gave an opinion to start a discussion.

4 Likes

The only bad part of it is it’s reaction when people dare to criticize Monzo.

And I was hardly the only person in that card design discussion and I wasn’t obsessed.

It was related to his “trust” and contradicts his point.

It’s still not attacking him either. Multiple posts, questioning someone, chasing it up with the bank, to me, was bizarre.

Wow, this thread is spiralling quickly haha.

Personally I’m a big fan of their tone of voice principles and may or may not have borrowed them for my own workplace. I think generally people respond better when they are talk to like a human being rather than a customer or client. It’s easier to explain complex processes/policies etc, when you use straight forward language.

I think I’ve mentioned it on this forum before, but I’m a big fan of this tool: https://xkcd.com/simplewriter/ to help me understand the barriers that may be present in any comms I’m preparing.

Also, I don’t think emojis are childish. Maybe 10 or 15 years ago maybe, but today they’re used by everyone and widely understood as an acceptable form of expression.

7 Likes

I guess there is always a time and a place for jovial language and I suppose I can see how it might be frustrating if you’re raising a complaint and the answers you get back are like “we are so sorry to hear that you’re upset :cry:

2 Likes

I think the emoji think is overblown. They don’t use their to replace words.

:wave:t2: Are you having problems with :dollar: or :credit_card:” is bad.

But “Hello :wave:t2:“ Is hardly end of the world. It takes nothing away and adds.

3 Likes

And I’m pretty sure we’ve had this discussion before where Monzo made it clear that in serious stuff they don’t use emoji :no_entry_sign:

But they will always stick to explaining things so they’re clear and easy to understand without big or technical words.

3 Likes

Dogs are better than cats though!

2 Likes

I agree, but ffs don’t tell my cat I said so, she’s got a mean streak and neither the dog or I want to end up on the receiving end of her wrath.

4 Likes

That’s a pretty good tool but it needs suggestions on what to replace the word with.

It literally only allows the top couple hundred most common words I think. So it’s extreme in terms of simplifying language. Here’s some context (written only using those words): A Thing Explainer word checker – xkcd

We have a game called Poetry For Neanderthals.

This sounds similar

:+1:

2 Likes

Maybe we ought to settle this with a poll.

What do you think of Monzo’s Tone of Voice?
  • Monzo’s Tone of Voice is awesome
  • I find it unprofessional

0 voters

1 Like