Monzo's Gender Pay Gap

Let the bidding begin :crazy_face:

2 Likes

ha ha… sorry… tired after a 16 hour day…

‘straight women’…

Where I usually live they even break it into subsets… theres butches and pretties (Toms and Dees) but oddly they dont do that for gay men.

1 Like

You only worked a 16 hour day? You obviously can’t hack it, I work 23 hours minimim.

Glad you think you’re ‘triumphing’ in this thread. :rofl:

4 Likes

touche…

But here is the issue… When you find multi millionaires, HNW, whatever name you wish to assign… The things they will sacrifice to ‘win’ in business, is a kind of ethic that is not evenly distributed among the sexes…

That, to a lesser extent, exists at all levels, not only the most obvious tiers…

What are you basing this on?

2 Likes

Simple commitment… having had 1000s of employees and contractors… And that stems from a genetic need to dominate, which isnt built equally into the sexes… When was the last mega yacht commissioned by a woman ?? Why is it that dick measuring display is fundamentally a male thing ?? How many female super car buyers are there per male purchase ??

Women are not lacking in the upper echelons of leadership because they are being held out (more on that in a sec) they are lacking because they dont desire it as much, to make it happen, they are not genetically driven need to flaunt to mate with the (fertile looking) bikini model…

That doesnt make not doing so a lesser life choice, but that drive is where the money comes from. Its part of the basic primal drive as alluded to earlier, todays rolex / patek / lambo is yesterdays ability to throw a good spear… That need to win and then and display, is a male thing… When was the last time a woman wanted the worlds largest yacht ?? When did a woman need her name on a sky scraper ?? I am 100% willing to agree these are not always positive things, but this drive is why theres a pay gap, even when reduced to tiny fractions… The 19 year old lad who wants to buy a BMW to shows hes doing well at life is the one who puts in the hours on a building site because of it… hes not smarter, or winning more, hes just got a primitive driver to attract the opposite sex, that exists in men, even if he doesnt know it that way.

Back to the ‘held out’, the very idea that theres a great conspiracy to under pay, under promote etc should in a world of equals be laughable… Where is the a society where the women are holding the men down ?? I mean we are equals right ?? Surely your not saying that this is by chance? Why are female run organisations not obvious… Its almost offensive how much the claim of bias runs counter to the claim of equal ability… Truly equal ability doesnt need assistance in rising, over time, in larger averages…

Anyway, I have to be up again in 6 hours… will try to re-engage tomorrow.

3 Likes

I would suggest that you do some more research on this topic.

2 Likes

For research purposes… Mega yachts purchased by women ?? :wink:

Check back tomorrow

1 Like

You can’t be constructive with someone who thinks Wolf Of Wall Street is a how to guide.

6 Likes

PhatPheddy is clearly over-generalising and making suggestions based on his own judgements and personal experience (and when challenged, makes ridiculous and dated anecdotes with little proof). That isn’t constructive either.

5 Likes

I would argue those who are determined to go out there and triumph, at whatever cost, are usually running on testosterone…

I would argue that these are both wrong. To massively oversimplify things only women can have babies. Over time it has become expected that women will be caring and nurturing and family focused, men will be competitive and less emotional. Because of these stereotypes of how males and females should behave, males and females are treated differently from as soon as the sex is known, even in utero.

Males and females grow up subject to societal pressures which mould them in certain ways - it’s all a bit of a self fulfilling prophecy, rather than pink and blue brains.

As this thread shows people have very strong views on why women are less represented at higher levels, multiply these views out to a population level and it becomes clear why this happens. If you are groomed from birth into what is expected of you as a male or as a female, it is very hard to break out of that.

5 Likes

I think it would be more productive to keep the discussion to the statistics and commentary published in the blog post, rather than pursuing unscientific or pseudo-scientific arguments about the root cause of gender pay gaps :slight_smile:

I am very pleased to have seen such a detailed analysis, and I am optimistic for the future. I am personally committed to helping in whatever ways I can to addressing our gender pay gap in engineering.

15 Likes

Possibly because they not paid as much and therefore can’t afford one

6 Likes

What are the tools you use to analyse your writing? Are they something that has been developed internally?

He’s called @hashbridge and he wrote our Tone of Voice guidelines, which are available on the blog :slight_smile:

3 Likes

You should hire based on merit, not on gender - gender shouldn’t come into this at all. You’re being manipulated by the very people you’re subsidising. See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzmbW4ueGdg

1 Like

To me - this is someone who is completely unable to manage their time properly. You need to work a little smarter mate.

6 Likes

We have never hired a single person based on gender in the history of Monzo and never will. Lest I continually repeat myself please see my explanation here…

10 Likes

The key point being that the problem needs to be solved at an early age. Not at the hiring phase of an existing unbalanced cohort.

Ensuring equal opportunities is fair

Engineering equal outcomes can be unfair.

2 Likes

Something I’ve always been interested in is how does the gender paygap take into account market rates and length of service.

Typically as market rates rise, new employees have a higher salary than those who have been in a role for a number of years. Existing employees are rarely given salary increases that meet the market mean for a set location.

Comparing salaries between say London and Aberdeen men/women would give an unbalanced picture, in addition someone whose been at the company 10 years performing the same role as a new joiner may also influence the pay gap.

While I don’t deny a gap exists, I’m interested in whether the data is simply generated based on gender or normalising factors are applied prior to the report.

2 Likes