Monzo / Unite Students Partnership Opportunity

For example this is what Barclays want international students to provide to create an account:

So it requires waiting for a utility bill to arrive physically at your door. If you’re able to set one up without a UK account to pay.

Even university letters printed out are sometimes rejected. They need something with their UK address on, not just a university letter.

1 Like

Yeah I see the issue - if Uni letters are sometimes rejected and the bill/DD fiasco isn’t viable - what’s the next best solution?

Would it be Monzo accepting say for instance a Tenancy Agreement?

Does Monzo require proof of address?

As far as I know, no. Just somewhere to deliver it to in the UK.

1 Like

Yeah I didnt think I had to when I signed up so sounds like it would be really good for students

Although as far as I am aware - the only valid IDs they take would in fact require a UK address to obtain (unless I’m missing something)

So maybe Monzo could look at increasing acceptance i.e. a passport (from any country) + a letter from the British University confirming you are a student

I suppose this is what a partnership could look to resolve? Working with the universities in question.

1 Like

I know Monzo do accept any EU passport to set up an account and don’t require proof of attendance. I’m not sure about passports from non-EU countries though.

No you’re right spot on - that statement was more of a question as I’m not really familiar with the requirements - ignorance mainly as I have the privilege of having them without a conscious decision/ application.

This is what Monzo say:

1 Like

So I guess if they can extend it to include all passport (And I assume some check that they are actually students) it should be fairly easy to do

The topic I got that from is for people new to the UK, so I assume non-UK passports are included, or it wouldn’t make much sense.

Oh well there should be no barrier for international students signing up to Monzo then!

I don’t think this is necessary. As long as the student is living in the UK and has a type of ID which Monzo recognise they’ll be able to open an account.

1 Like

Yes it depends on which ID are accepted

If it is any passport that isnt a problem

If it is only UK/EU passports then it is

Of course it depends on which IDs are accepted by Monzo, but a “check that they are actually students” isn’t necessary for international students if they have a form of accepted ID.

watgaw4t

Most banks would require it.

But most banks require a proof of address along with correct ID to set up any account - Monzo don’t.

I also know for a fact that EU students studying in the UK don’t need to provide proof of attendance at a UK university to get a Monzo account - they follow the same sign up process as a UK citizen.

1 Like

Is this for student accounts that have certain student “perks” or just regular accounts?