Monzo Staff Q&A - Georgie Parmenter (Executive Assistant to the Founders)

Very good question!

All 7 execs are very different and have very different commitments, working styles and preferences. I have a really good relationship with them all and have spent the last 8 months getting to know them.

My day to day would include things such as ensuring that they don’t have any overlaps in their schedule, sorting/answering and flagging important emails that arrive in their inbox, booking travel both in the UK and abroad, liaising with the hiring team when thy are required to sit in on interviews or hiring decision meetings, booking external and external meetings and a lot more.

Sometimes, it is hectic and I am running around like a headless chicken trying to juggle everything and ensure everyone is supported enough. It makes it all the more easier knowing that they are a great bunch of people that are super appreciative of my work :slight_smile:

7 Likes

The 7 are…
Chief Executive Officer - Tom Blomfield
Deputy Chief Executive Officer - Paul Rippon
Chief Finance Officer - Gary Dolman
Chief Risk Officer - Ruth Doubleday
Chief Operating Officer - Tom Foster-Carter
Chief Technology Officer - Jonas Huckestein
Head of COps - Glyn Keachie

4 Likes

Ahhhh now this would be telling :zipper_mouth_face:

In all honesty though, I have absolutely no idea but am now very interested to know :smiley:

4 Likes

What a lovely thing to say :slight_smile: I agree, often the EA’s keep everything ticking over smoothly and do a lot of firefighting!!

On cats and Pizza - I have 2 cats and absolutely do no understand pineapple on pizza, I am more of a meat feast type of girl :slight_smile:

Questions, questions. I like them all so i’m going in for the whole lot!

• Often I spend most of my time just ensuring that the Execs actually have time to work and eat as opposed to attending back to back meetings all day. They are all very generous with their time and often like to spend time with the wider Monzo team and give them support but they need to be fed :smiley: Often quite frustrating to find time in their diaries but super important to ensure that they don’t burn out.

• I am often in charge of deciding whether they are able to attend a meeting. They are very in demand at Monzo and a super smart bunch of people so often people want to involve them in lots of internal meetings. It is my job to make sure that the meetings are a sufficient length of time, have a relevant agenda and is ultimately relevant to them attending.

• The 7 founders are CEO, Deputy CEO, CTO, CRO, CFO, COO and Head of COps. They all have very clearly defined roles at Monzo although they do often work very closely on some things including hiring decisions, reviews etc.

• It was just me until yesterday! We have just hired a temporary EA to help me and are currently looking for a perm EA to join the team! If you know any superstar EA’s please point them in the direction of our careers page :muscle:

• I have absolutely no idea what Simon’s secret project is but I am very interested in finding out!!!

• Hmmm, good question :slight_smile:
    a) most quirky…probably the Deputy CEO, Paul Rippon. Did you know that he and his wife own an Alpaca farm!!! How amazing is that!
    b) Most energetic…This is a tough one as they are all energetic. Most attend the gym before work and the CTO, Jonas Huckestein actually just completed Tough Mudder with some of the other Monzonauts. Rather him than me I say!!
    c) Most enigmatic…I can honestly say none of them! They are all absolute superstars and very approachable and rational.
    d) Most likely to do the next Q&A…Hmmmm :thinking: I think that the COO, Tom Foster-Carter would be a good shout! He oversee’s the biggest team at Monzo and is great!!

Monzo the Movie - let’s make this happen! Who would play me though?? :thinking: as this is a hypothetical question I am going to absolutely reach for the stars and say Emilia Clarke. Why you ask?? I am a massive GOT fan and who the hell wouldn’t want the Mother of dragons to play them! :laughing: I appreciate we look nothing alike but I can dream can’t I?

3 Likes

:joy:

I have 2 cats…one is a munchkin cat :cat2:

1 Like

Without!!! Freaks me out a bit to drink it with bits :joy:

1 Like

I am very lucky to work with people that are realistic with their requests so this doesn’t really happen - thankfully!!

1 Like

We do all of our own hiring which I think is super important as who knows better than us who we are looking for :slight_smile:

All of our current opportunities can be found on our careers page so please keep an eye out on there. It is absolutely not luck based, we hire people based both on their skills as well as who they are as a person. Culture is hugely important to us at Monzo so we do our best to hire people that fit nicely with us!

Super flattering that you want to work for Monzo (just between us - it is the absolute best place to work in the whole wide world!!!) Keep following us and keep an eye on our careers page :heart:

1 Like

:scream:

So you were definitely my favourite Q&A (don’t tell @tom) until I read this. :wink:

Can you redeem yourself by telling us your views on olives? :blush:

I’m going to absolutely shatter your world right now and tell you that I absolutely hate coffee :see_no_evil:

Tea however, different story! I drink about 8 cups of tea per day and like it strong with 1 sugar. I will say though that I am in the minority at Monzo as coffee is a big thing in the office. We had a power cut a few weeks ago which lasted all of about 15 minutes and all hell broke loose because the coffee machine wouldn’t work :joy:

4 Likes

I love a good joke!

I would have hired that guy just because he had the guts to juggle a rubber chicken during an interview :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

I often feel like I need one :cold_sweat:

We are still growing though so maybe in a few years time we will have a whole support team…watch this space!

2 Likes

Redeemed. No matter your view on olives. :wink:

1 Like

Absolutely rubbish!!

I know this as I used to try to forge my mums to get out of PE at school :joy:

4 Likes

I can honestly say this hasn’t happened to me at Monzo. They are all very busy and their time is often spread very thin but always manage to fit everything in.

I am often asked to help out with projects but everyone at Monzo is super helpful and jumps in to help when they see that others need it :slight_smile:

1 Like

If he doesn’t then he must be crazy!!! Donuts at Monzo are a BIG thing :smiley:

1 Like

Ahhhh booo!!!

So green olives I love especially if they are stuffed with garlic!! Black olives I can take them or leave them. Not sure about olives on pizza though :thinking:

1 Like

Tea is life!!!

1 Like

A strong comeback :wink:

2 Likes

Thanks for coming in and answering our random questions!

One last one if I can. What’s the office layout like? Are you with all the Founders or are they with their fans across the office. Or are you all nomadic?!

2 Likes