Monzo shares have increased in value by a huge 25x since the first round

The share price has also been confirmed on their internal-facing options calculation site: https://options.monzo.com/

4 Likes

Correct

Illiquid? Yes.
Fictitious? Not really.

They didnā€™t pluck the number out of air, itā€™s correlated to the investment vs shares issued per the latest round. If YC Continuity fund sees Ā£13.02 value in the shares you will have a tough time convincing me otherwiseā€¦ So again, itā€™s not exactly ā€œfictionā€.

2 Likes

Not quite, the Ā£13.019 figure isnā€™t made-up or false. That is the value that YC just paid for their shares - that is the exact price.

The problem is the illiquidity of the shares, and so therefore it is dependent on what someone wants to sell for and what someone wants to buy for. The fact someone has just paid Ā£13.019 doesnā€™t mean anything if I want to sell for Ā£15 and a buyer wants to buy for Ā£10.

2 Likes

That is a fair point - I was referring more to the illiquid side

But to counter it - the only share price that matters is the IPO/when you sell (In terms of crowd funding investers)

It could be valued by one person at 100 billion when they raise next but it is what the market as a whole values Monzo that is more important

The IPO price only matters if you try and exit into the IPO. All that matters is the price when you come to sell.

1 Like

My next line in my previous point made that - it is the market that matters

Good spot! Theyā€™ve also switched the Metro Bank comparison to a Barclays comparison. Fresh meatā€¦

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.