Monzo raising £100m at £2bn valuation (April 2019)

Valuations are based upon many more metrics than customer numbers. They’ll have been deep into the accounts and the running of the business before offering up £100m. I’d suggest any customer number correlation you are seeing is co-incidence

1 Like

I believe it does if there is no dilution. Reason it is not £125 is because we have issued more shares over time. But as the company value gets higher the dilution (hopefully) is less because fewer shares need to be issued to achieve the raise, e.g. raising £100 million when The company is worth £30 million (50p sp) requires more shares (and therefore bigger chunk of the company) than when the company is worth £1 billion (£7.71 sp).

1 Like

Exactly. Same will be the case here. New shares issued. Otherwise they’d have to be buying shares of existing investors. Some existing investors may have exited small parts of their holding but that will likely only be tiny amount of the £100m.

1 Like

The number of new shares issued would be a very small percentage in relation to the total of shares. It’s not going to be double the last rounds share price but it will be reasonably close

Not that it matters as they’re still illiquid etc etc

3 Likes

Yep good points. Was just heeding caution.

Looks like theres a new round with a US backer. Some detail here https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/us-backer-lifts-monzo-to-2bn-valuation-ztxn2gthc

Value of Monzo doubles to £2b as a result! However I can’t find much more detail. I’m curious how many new shares were issued and therefore how much existing investors have been diluted… anyone have anything on this?

I’m actually a little disappointed Monzo aren’t more forthcoming with this information to crowdfunding investors (would a traditional investor be treated differently?)

Hi sam, I’ve moved you post to the main discussion thread about this

This news is exciting if you’re a Crowdfunder or not - having set up an American office not too long ago and now with an American investor being interested, it looks positive.

Naturally only time will tell, I hope the investment isn’t to keep Monzo floating so soon after the last round (I highly doubt this) - but may mean Monzo are stretched further in what their short, mid and long terms goals are.

Sure thanks, I want to talk specifically about the investment value so thought I should be posting in the crowdfunding and investors subforum

It’s already been touched on in this thread and if it was in both places there would be a lot of repetition between both threads

Happy to be proved wrong though and if I need to split it into 2 topics again later then I will :+1:

2 Likes

I think it might be due to the fact it hasn’t actually gone through yet and are still liaising with the PRA. Not to mention some of the funding may be through pre-emption rights (I can’t actually remember if these have been dis-applied through the Articles).

A lot has changed in the short time since the last funding round with a lot of developments made both in a business and bank sense so I can understand a double in valuation - whether that’s accurate or overstated I don’t know. I’m sure once the funding has completed there will be some more information on companies house.

Agreed, it won’t be exactly double. Who knows how close - I might fantasies at £13-14 :wink:

That feels toppy to me but I hope i’m proven wrong

1 Like

Hi Stephen

Are you a Monzo employee, please?

Nope, just a happy owner.

1 Like

Average time to IPO is currently 14 years. See you all in 10 years or so!

Just to manage expectations: doubling the value doesn’t double the share value, it can be quite a bit less. New shares are issued that dilute your shareholding. This is all good news above but wait for hard data until you value your holding.

3 Likes

Don’t be disappointed. Monzo are pretty good at comms compared to most other startups. There’s no urgency as the shares are illiquid but, like you, I’d love to know the new share price.

1 Like

As a Monzo user, I am so proud of this achievement!
As a Monzo investor, I am super proud and slightly gleefully happy!

1 Like

:eyes:

11 Likes

That’s a big name

4 Likes