Monzo raising £100m at £2bn valuation (April 2019)

Around £14-15 I would estimate if no share splitting.

Edit: thinking a bit more about it maybe as low as £13.18

3 Likes

Seems about right to me. But how did you get to 13.18? Seems awfully precise!

Even with only 20% of account holders paying their salaries in ?

Hopefully that has gone up since they admitted this.

There will have to be some new shares issued I think so until they announce it I think it’s anyone’s guess

This article does seem to come across to make quite a few assumptions.

Would be nice to see the yearly profits/losses to see if this was an investment that was needed or one that was nice to have.

After the last raise the investment document didnt really have up to date stats from what i remember so would be nice to have an updated look on the different money making areas

The annual report should be out soon, so hopefully we’ll have all that info before too long.

(Edit: it was published in July last year)

2 Likes

Almost 30% salaried accounts by December 2018 and it looks like it was increasing further:

https://twitter.com/t_blom/status/1074728958371991552?s=21

I wouldn’t be surprised if Monzo hit 50% salaried accounts by the end of 2019.

5 Likes

Hello journalists! :wave:

Monzo digital bank could double value to £2bn with new US stake

A user identified as a crowdfunding investor on Monzo’s community forum said the shares would probably be worth “£12-14 minimum now, if the news of an increased valuation is true”. At the time of the crowdfunding, the shares were valued at around £7.70, although the shares are not tradable.

Another asked: “How much are Round One investors smiling today?” User bretonhill, also tagged as a crowdfunding investor, replied: “Personally, I can tell you: a lot. Lovely news to wake up to on a lazy Sunday!”

1 Like

Not that I want to beat a dead horse on the community again, and more in the hope that the Guardian might see it and correct their report, but there is a small error in it (emphasis mine):

[Monzo] was accused of allowing customers to borrow from the bank using its overdraft facility – which costs 50p a day – to buy shares.

It would be more correct to say that Monzo were accused of encouraging customers to use their overdraft, an accusation that was later retracted. There’s nothing wrong with allowing, as the Guardian notes in its final line: “the use of overdrafts is not covered by the rules.”

3 Likes

Why is that quote worthy? If you invest in something of course you’ll be pleased at seeing an increased valuation, especially if you got in at the start for a very low price

Here’s another exclusive they can quote - water is wet

1 Like

Nice to see the coverage, though my small addition would be that we have 1.8 million customers, not 1.2 million.

I wonder if Nikolay will be pushing his staff even harder now.

6 Likes

Sweep faster, it’s time for your beating

3 Likes

New memo: toilet breaks limited to once a day, and you have to have recruited 10 new customers whilst on the toilet or you’re out!

7 Likes

That first one was me :flushed:

2 Likes

I find it sad to read that kind of story in the Guardian. Aside from the sloppy journalism demonstrated by their lack of research into customer numbers, it’s clear the author doesn’t understand that this isn’t just about the money. True, it’s great for shareholders that the value of their investment has increased, but more than that, the higher valuation acknowledges that Monzo’s innovative approach to banking is successful, and attracting customers and investors.

Many investors aren’t out to make a quick buck. They want to contribute and be part of a movement that’s changing an aspect of society for the better by introducing greater transparency and accountability, better tools and a better customer experience.

2 Likes

A better article from the Telegraph:

£1? That preview is confused

3 Likes

Superb news! This firmly puts Monzo in the middle between OakNorth and Revolut as the top three most trusted and in-demand Fin-Techs.

Should we club in together and offer the Board £10 for it? That’s a 1000% premium, right?

8 Likes

Share price doesnt double when the valuation does. Otherwise a 50p share from the first round would now be worth £125

2 Likes