Monzo Premium - Flash Poll!

So let’s see where folk are on Monzo Premium!

Are you going to subscribe to Premium?

• Yes
  • No
  • Unsure

0 voters

If ‘yes’ are you upgrading from Monzo Plus, normal Monzo, or no Monzo account?

• Standard Monzo
  • Monzo Plus
  • I didn’t have Monzo

0 voters

If ‘no’, why?

• I’m happy with the free account
  • I’m happy with Monzo Plus
  • I can get a better deal elsewhere
  • Not worth the money
  • Don’t like metal cards
  • Want a different colour metal card
  • Not travelling at the moment
  • Disagree with paid-for accounts
  • No joint account support
  • Don’t like packaged accounts
  • Not got the right software features
  • I don’t have a Monzo account

0 voters

Best feature?

• Other accounts, in Monzo
  • Interest on balance and regular pots
  • Custom categories
  • Holographic card
  • Virtual Cards
  • Advanced Roundups
  • Credit Tracker
  • Offers
  • Auto-export transactions
  • 5 free cash deposit per month
  • Fee-free withdrawals abroad
  • Metal card
  • Travel insurance
  • Mobile insurance
  • Discounted airport lounges

0 voters

I fell into the unsure bracket purely because im in two minds.
I like the phone insurance offering (currently pay £8.75 pm for same cover) but feel like I cant get enough additional value at the moment with not being able to use the travel insurance to justify the additional monthly spend.

Also the metal card doesnt appeal to me at all so I dont really see that as something gained.

2 Likes

Could you add a poll on why people value different kinds/colours of card or is it likely to cause a big debate?

I think that’s more a discussion than a poll?

1 Like

:man_shrugging: Could that be said of any poll?
I just figured some options would be:

• I like to impress checkout people
  • It’s easier to find in my wallet/purse
  • I think it makes me as a person look more desirable
1 Like

Who are you and what have you done with @Peter_G?!

5 Likes

Interesting one, this time.

I’m currently Unsure - I can see objectively that it’s similar to the benefits I get from my current Flex Plus account, but just not enough to push me over the line.

I voted “not worth the money” - although I do think the package it represents is good value for what it is, just not quite what I want.

If they turned the mobile cover into family mobile cover, I would snap it up.

If you are maxing out the interest also, and you can get value out of the core Plus features, the ‘on cost’ is £9.10 a month, which I think is a pretty good price.

If Joint Mobile insurance was added, I’d snap it up.

I also kind of had in my head there’d be more ‘soft’ features included, surprised there isn’t. But I don’t think that affects the value proposition.

I’m still unsure as to whether I’m cancelling Plus or not. Two negative’s make a positive… So better upgrade?

5 Likes

Airport lounge access and travel insurance is the only thing that can potentially make it a good deal (though I think I already have the latter for free with my Curve card), but both seem unnecessary for the foreseeable future, so for phone insurance alone you can get it cheaper directly for the time being.

The rest are just marketing gimmicks to try and make it look less like a bad deal but have little to no long-term value, an even worse version of legacy banks’ packaged accounts.

I’m curious about the decision of launching this feature now with two of the biggest features still being irrelevant for the majority of people.

5 Likes

Maybe insert a poll on what things people don’t like on the new premium and what can be changed or more features.

It’s a good improvement but I’d expect Monzo to at least try to be on or with competitors.

1. Cashback
    I’d would be more interested if it offered cashback with everyday spend like grocery (Tesco, Sainsburys etc), eat out (Nando’s, McDonald’s etc), tech (Apple, Amazon), travel (easyJet, hotel.com) Also, on utilities would be great as well.

Maybe for the Plus account offer 0.5% cashback and for premium account 1% cashback.

Monzo has more customers than Sterling and Curve so should be attractive for the above named to become partners in a cashback scheme.

1. Link to loyalty cards
    I like this feature which is offered by Curve, shouldn’t be difficult to implement this into even the basic account.
7 Likes

Lounge access with Curve requires a £20 charge per person.

I meant the travel insurance. That one is included I believe.

Able to included multiple names under the mobile insurance would be great even if called at 2 additional devices.

1 Like

I think it’s an interesting exercise if you try to find a comparable, stand alone policy for both the Travel and the Phone cover -

The nearest one I can find, that has the same ‘headline’ cover (i.e. family cover, cancellation, medical costs, belongings, winter sports + the same excess), that covers the same length of trip, is Puffin at £150 per year / £12.5 per month.

So, as the product stands, that seems to be a fair price for the cover it gives.

You can absolutely get cheaper insurance, between £40-£60 (individual to family), but then you are making compromises elsewhere in the cover.

So like all insurance, it’s just about making sure the cover you’re buying is enough.

4 Likes

Monzo Premium is not for ME.

My phone is probably not worth much more than the £75 excess, so pretty pointless.

Travel alone, so family insurance of no use to me.

Don’t keep £2000 in Monzo to maximise interest “cashback”

No interest in metal card as mainly use GPay.

Leaves nowt worth £180 a year, for me.

5 Likes

Not enough in there to warrant it, phone insurance is covered by my contents insurance. I don’t travel abroad so no need for that insurance or the additional withdrawals

I’m still with Plus, and pretty happy with it. When I start travelling again (especially in post-EHIC) days, and when I buy the new iPhone mini, I think I very much will upgrade, I like the current offerings for £15/month

I’m still unsure I do have a packaged account with NatWest, but the things I value on it, Home emergency cover, mobile insurance for the whole family and the 25% cashback on gig tickets, aren’t matched here.

1 Like

How much is airport lounge access anyway?
I thought most lounges like Bristol aspire are £20, so using the Monzo card is more expensive ?

1 Like

I keep seeing cashback mentioned but does anyone offer any thing like this?

Obviously you can get it in a way with a credit card but I mean on a normal current account.

In the US, yes, and for me, the constant request for stuff like this stems from jealousy of those offerings, though I fully understand it’s a different picture over there with fees and rates that make it possible.

Revolut Metal offers a paltry cash back though. And a few other current accounts (used to at least) offer cash back for certain transactions.

I also think if Monzo want us to spend more on our cards, cash back, even just a paltry amount, could help achieve that, especially on an account that increases withdrawal allowances.

It’s by no means a deal breaker or a deal maker, but a nice to have that i would personally prefer over a few of the other features.

4 Likes