Monzo Premium - Flash Poll!

Yep, Curve offer this.

1% cashback on all purchases from 6 retailers which you can select from a list.

4 Likes

Curve also offer airport lounge access for £20 whereas Monzo users have to pay £24.

Not sure how good Monzo’s team are at negotiating a good deal considering the number of customers Monzo has is more than other challenger banks.

Just mentioning it, not that lounge access is a buggy for me. I think the cashback would swing it for me.

Or they got a better rate and don’t pass it on…

1 Like

I think your first bet would be to look for cheaper gadgets insurance. The best way is usually to get it along with your home/contents insurance - as an extra on that it’s much cheaper. And pay annually not monthly if possible. £105 / year seems like a lot.

1 Like

Santander 123 is the classic example, but it’s just got less generous.

1 Like

But this is a false economy - it’s been mentioned a few times, but if you were to make 2 phone claims a year, your home insurance premiums could increase drastically. Sure you might save on the monthly fee initially, but you’ll soon be paying more than dedicated gadget insurance where premiums don’t change, as there’s not presently a concept of ‘no claim’ periods, or having to declare past claims.

1 Like

I’ve never seen the appeal or value in packaged/premium current accounts, and Monzo Premium is no different.

But, for £15, it offers some tangible benefits with real value, and people are free to take it or leave it.

Unlike Plus, which I think is too easy to emulate and undercut, and will struggle to differentiate itself from other products, the Premium tier seems pretty safe and future proof.

2 Likes

Over 70, so not available to me. Fortunately Nationwide covers me although there is an additional annual fee.

2 Likes

I personally think they priced it wrong. if it was £9.99 I would of done it

1 Like

I’d agree on this - £15 per month feels like a significant amount for subscription. I find anything £10 or under to be easier to digest, and I’m more impulsive to try it.

My biggest issue is that the Metal Card is clearly costly, but the longer the term goes on the more it feels you are paying a higher amount for something that you’ve paid off?

3 Likes

Totally agree! Just upgraded and got the new metal card in the post. The packaging suggested it should be an “ooooh” moment but was more “ugh”! It’s a bland silver card. Really want the Colour version. Monzo, please bring back colour to the premium card…its a great marketing tool. Why switch it off?? Plus my purse looks so bland now.

Hi @Achilles75 (Poppy) & welcome :wave:

TBH, after the pre-paid days of the beta Hot Coral card, the release of the current account Hot Coral card, then the Joint Account Hot Coral card, it is refreshing to see an amazing white-metal card in the wallet. Even more so than the Lagoon Blue or Blue Holo(graphic) Monzo Plus cards.

I feel Monzo is moving away from the Hot Coral branding and will likely progress to a completely different branding/image over the next year or so. And this is not necessarily a bad thing, Monzo has to ‘grow up’ from the - to be fair- incredible start-up ethos, to be able to deal with the current 4.7M users and attract (and engage with ) M’s more.

Exciting & challenging times.

Found the “If no…” question difficult to answer, because none of the options seemed to map directly on to “I don’t think it’s a bad offering, it’s just not for me at this moment in time.”

1 Like

What Curve card do you have?

I was on the legacy Curve plan, I’m not sure if it still applies now but I remember being given AXA travel insurance details even though I haven’t paid anything.

For a new customer, according to their website for 9,99£/month on the Curve Black plan you do get travel insurance.

1 Like

23% now saying Yes

Would love to know what numbers Monzo are seeing…

My reason for “no” is that it doesn’t seem to be a product aimed at me.

It’s clearly aimed at a frequent foreign traveller, who uses airports a lot.

Whilst I do travel abroad sometimes, it’s usually eurostar or ferry, I haven’t flown in 10 years.

I do however drive a car and Nationwide FlexPlus offers a really good car breakdown cover and that is conspicupulsy absent from Monzo Plus.

So I guess if Monzo put in car breakdown, I might switch over.

Perhaps you could have two options: “Plus for people who fly” and “Plus for people with cars”

Also I don’t see the point of paying a fee to get interest. It just muddies the waters. Nationwide were smart enough to see the folly of it and scrapped the higher interest offer.

2 Likes

(Leave that in, Nick :grinning:).

It doesn’t work for me, I use my mobile or Apple Watch to pay.

Cash back might make me tempted, I use the NatWest rewards Card and earn around £25 a month in cash back and it’s effectively free.

I can see why for some people it might work but I think Monzo would have been better focusing on other things.

Also with the interest being offered what happens is interest rates go negative?

Presumably the same kind of people who need multiple card replacements each year. I don’t understand how people lose or damage phones so frequently.

2 Likes