Monzo Plus - what would you like to see?

I’d like travel related add-ons, such as travel insurance, lounge access, etc.
But currently I pay around £36 a year for worldwide (except USA) insurance, so I won’t pay £120 just to have travel insurance and a different coloured card.
I’d like to be able to withdraw more cash from ATMs abroad (yes, cash is used a lot in many countries) but right now I have a Starling account with unlimited withdrawals, so I won’t pay Monzo for this (for now).

I’d love to have the Night Sky card, and I’m willing to pay a one-off fee for this.
The current offering is to be honest really poor, and a bit disappointing.

2 Likes

Not that surprising, to be honest.

V3 is something everyone is going to get, and trailers have been warned that it might not work very well.

I’ve expressed an interest in Monzo Plus, even though it has nothing which would induce me to part with £3 at the moment.

There’s simply no potential downside to expressing an interest in Monzo Plus, whereas some app features might not work if I volunteer to trial v3

7 Likes

My point is that Monzo charge for things that other banks give you for free. Why would I opt to pay for cash deposits or foreign withdrawals when Starling don’t charge me? Why would I use an overdraft that costs 50p/day when I can get it much cheaper elsewhere?

Whether I personally use these facilities or not, I prefer to know if I ever need them I won’t be paying over the odds.

1 Like

Your worldwide travel insurance is provided by Pluto and Zurich. It covers:

  • Medical bills up to £10m
  • Personal liability insurance up to £2m
  • Trip cancellation costs up to £1,500
  • Legal expenses up to £25,000
  • Baggage cover up to £1,500
  • An excess of £100

You’re not covered for trips you’re already on, winter sports, like skiing and snowboarding, and any pre-existing medical conditions.

1 Like

Ah thank you, ill have a deeper look into this in a bit.

There missing Zurich’s policy document and terms and conditions. Is this anywhere? And what each company are covering?

It’s in the link I sent above but here you are -

https://pluto.travel/terms

2 Likes

Ah, is this the case then that they are not offering Zurich insurance direct, just Pluto insurance underwritten by Zurich? this probably should be more clear so not to be misleading.

edit: an additional question. If the above is incorrect and the Zurich information is just currently missing. Are Zurich providing the insurance for those over 46, or is there no insurance available for those who are over 46?

Plutos conditions look like they wont cover anyone with pre exiting conditions. Is this the case? edit: it looks like they are only wanting to know all your pre existing conditions as they will not cover the pre exiting conditions but will cover anything else.

agreed I currently have flex plus and no other bank comes close to it at the moment

3 Likes

Oh dear. Just spent 20 minutes reading this.
Now I love marketing & giveaways- according to my wife. If I sign up it will be a cold stare at me & ‘why would you’?

I like Monzo but this at the moment just feels a little wrong in that (as most have said) it is over priced possibly by a long way.
I would use if it was competitive in terms of price & offering.
Is there anything Monzo could offer that current ‘packaged bank accounts’ don’t?
I don’t know the answer as most things mentioned in the 100s posts above are offered by 1 or more providers currently.

I like that it is more subtle.

I am hoping there are more extras as £6 per month does seem quite high for the current offering. Though I’m happy to pay £3 just to say thanks for offering their banking services and constantly trying to improve :+1:t2:

Not purchased the other items as I have travel insurance as part of another banks package. And no plans to go abroad any time soon so the cash withdrawals is also not needed.

Will see what other items come up and decide as and when.

What did you go for?

3 Likes

:wave:Hi all, I thought I’d quickly jump in with a little bit of context. I’m one of the people who’s been working on this and I have been pushing both for the current pricing, as well as the early release strategy.

I would like to share some thoughts on the vision we have for Monzo Plus, and clarify a few smaller points that were raised in this thread, too.

:crystal_ball:Vision for Monzo Plus

I really really love an iterative approach to product development. Those of you who were around at the time will remember our very first prepaid card launch events. You had to physically come to our office to get a card. The first thing we told you was the 10 things that were broken about it. You gave us your feedback, we acted on it and over time developed an amazing app together.

This process is what has made Monzo successful. But it only works when we share the vision of where we are going and get everyone onboard with that first. You may have been testing a cobbled together app prototype, but you knew where it was going. Our website showed that narrative very clearly and was already almost the same as it is now. Monzo would help you feel in control of your money. It would take the stress out of it.

I think this is where we’ve fallen short with this announcement. We said “Sorry, this is not finished - please give feedback”, but we didn’t paint a picture of what Monzo Plus is going to be like in the “good future” (The “good future” is a narrative device we use a lot at Monzo to avoid getting into arguments about when exactly something can be done by)

In the good future, Monzo Plus is going to be all about customisation and convenience and it will definitely compete on price with the best bundled accounts in the market.

A lot of people on this thread mentioned bundled accounts from other banks. Now imagine how much better it would be if you could take away the one feature you don’t use from those bundled accounts (e.g. travel insurance from Nationwide FlexPlus because I already have travel insurance) and pay a reduced monthly fee as a result? Or conversely, imagine if your needs changed - perhaps you bought a car or a property or started a family. With Monzo Plus, you can quickly add a couple of relevant services such as insurance or roadside assistance to subscription. You won’t need to worry about whether the vendors are any good or whether you have all the information required to sign up at hand. You will effortlessly sign up for everything with a few simple taps.

The Monzo plus base subscription will have enough benefits to be worth it, but the real power will come from the optional extras. Right now there are two paid extras. in the future there will be dozens. They will be priced competitively with off-the-shelf solutions but you get added convenience and peace of mind accessing them through Monzo. We also know there is demand for different styles and kinds of cards, too. We’re experimenting with more high end finishes and even metal cards. This won’t be important to everyone, but for those who care, they will have the option to get such a card, too.

That is what we will be building over the next 12 months. I have no doubt that in the end we will have an incredibly competitive offering. I would not be surprised if in a few years time customers (and perhaps the regulator, too) started demanding this kind of customisation from other banks’ bundled accounts.

I’m super excited to go on that journey with you to see once again what we can build together. But it is also totally fine for some of you to say that you’ll sit this one out and wait until next year before becoming a plustomer. There will also be many of you who will never use this feature and that is totally fine, too. Even the most popular bundled accounts in the industry are used by less than 10% of account holders.

:white_check_mark:Smaller clarifications

  • We will add benefits to the Monzo Plus subscription that will justify the price. We debated whether or not to publish what those are and when they will be released but decided against it, because it isn’t certain when we might be able to add what. For example, I hope that we can offer increased deposit interest rates and some form of rewards soon, but I’m not sure what we can commit to, yet. In retrospect, we may have been too cautious about this. We are current reevaluating this and may come back next week with a 2019 plan for Monzo Plus

  • A lot of you are shareholders and have shown a keen interest in our finances in the past, so I thought I’d share a quick note on pricing. Pricing new products is always hard. After we’ve rolled out additional benefits and extras throughout 2019, we’ll definitely check in on the pricing. It may turn out that it was too high. In that case we can always adjust it down - that is much easier than increasing pricing.

  • It’s super hard to compare pricing for bundled accounts so I’d be a bit careful with that. For example, the pricing of many legacy banks bundled accounts relies on extremely low usage rates of the benefits. This is something the FCA in particular has currently taking a close look at. Some fintechs (e.g. Revolut) might charge for things that are free with Monzo (24/7 service or card orders, etc). Some banks offer “free ATM withdrawals”, but add a secret spread to the exchange rate, etc… For better or for worse, we have decided that we’ll always be clear on what exactly you are and aren’t getting and will allow customers to choose only the things they need

Last but not least

Thank you so much for your feedback. I don’t comment on the forums much, but I read a lot of it and I am incredibly humbled by the amazing support, constructive challenge and enthusiasm we’ve seen through the years. Please never change :slight_smile:

Feel free to ask me follow-up questions and I’ll do my best to answer them - I probably won’t get around to it until Friday evening, though.

63 Likes

No doubt you’ve already learned from the feedback but so far, in my personal opinion, what you’re offering is a terrible deal. The fact that this got approved makes me very glad I haven’t gone full monzo.

You’re asking £3/month (£6 later) for a bit of plastic that I would imagine that a significant proportion of your users never use anyway (wherever possible I use Apple Pay)… and that’s it. Everything else is an extra on top of that.

Do better and be smarter about this Monzo, we know you can.

3 Likes

Metal card. Nice

2 Likes

Worth reading the post above yours if you haven’t already.

Also - it’s optional

9 Likes

I’m in with the metal card. :joy:

1 Like

Thanks for replying, it’s been good to get some insights from Monzo on this.

I just wonder how this is going to be competitively priced? So everyone is talking about the Nationwide bundle (which I don’t have personally) so if we set the benchmark at £13 a month for a compelling Monzo Plus offering.

The main issue is nearly half of that figure is gone straight away just signing up to be able to access the add-one.

I get your point about only paying for the things you need. If you had Monzo Plus base including travel insurance for £10 total, yeah you would save some money perhaps (depending on whether the policies are similar in the fine print).

However, if you use two or more services in the bundle then it’s going to be more surely? Phone insurance seems to be a popular one from these responses but I’m assuming you’re not going to be able to squeeze comprehensive device insurance into that remaining £3?

2 Likes

Thanks @jonas, that clears a lot up for me and hopefully others.

3 Likes

Is there a way I can keep my investor card instead of ordering a new one?

4 Likes

Thanks @jonas finally some answers… I’m looking forward to seeing what will come and got my fingers crossed for a 2019 Update on what’s to come :slight_smile:

I would also want this too :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Also would be interested in a metal card :crossed_fingers:

1 Like