Monzo Plus: Virtual Cards

Yep, it was clarified up in this thread too, 100 per year. They were all done before I’d learned of a limit. Won’t be deleting and making any others in haste, that’s for sure.

1 Like

Hopefully if they release a premium subscription it would come with more such as 150-200 aswell as the metal card and maybe even a maximum of 5 companion cards a year such as for traveling :luggage:

1 Like

I would love additional physical cards too. I wouldn’t be too happy if they lock those behind the tier that is presumably going to come with an insurance product that I won’t need, and thus won’t be eligible for.

1 Like

Same really I wouldn’t need insurance

1 Like

So almost like a pot?

Just made my first purchase with a virtual card. One thing I’m not a fan of is the lack of note visibility. On my iPhone app with normal transactions when I add notes, hashtags etc. they appear under the transaction in the list of transactions. Great way to see what a purchase was for without clicking into it. With my virtual card however, even though I’ve added a note, it just shows the name of the virtual card in this space. I understand it’s useful to see the name of the card, but for me not showing the notes, meaning I have to click on each transaction to see it, seems like a step backwards.

4 Likes

Well exactly, everything is almost like something else. Accounts, Pots, Virtual cards. People want pots with a card number and cards with a pot, and to see transactions for both, they also want real cards for pots and to share accounts, and to have the same features on joint. Why not just merge the confusing organically grown medley of concepts, make them all accounts and be done with it. Things would be a lot simpler (for product dev and customers) if they managed to merge them:

Accounts - all with an account number, transaction feed, transfers, and can be shared with one or more people (useful for joint, business). Optional to add a card number, real cards (useful for joint, business, kids), display in a global feed, etc

At the moment you can have an extra account with transactions but no account number or a virtual card with no account and no transactions.

3 Likes

Virtual cards were one of the biggest features I was looking forward to as I’ve used them with Revolut before.

As it stands, security wise, it makes literally no difference whether I use my physical card or virtual card. There has to be some extra security measures put in place on the virtual cards which makes them more secure for them to be a worthwhile feature.

Either of the options at the top should work. Personally I would like to see both options available if possible but easiest to implement to start with maybe just a maximum single transaction size or something along those lines. You should also add the ability to freeze virtual cards.

You also need to either scrap the 100 per year limit or create an auto refreshing one which changes each time you use it. People make more than 100 online transactions in a year so I could easily see people running out if you keep deleting and making new ones.

Why would you want a different card for every single transaction you make? One per merchant is enough surely if you wanted to go down that road.

3 Likes

It’s not about having a different card for every transaction. On Revolut the card number just refreshes after every transaction. They call them disposable virtual cards. That way your card details can never be stolen or hijacked.

I think the best solution here would be for Monzo to implement disposable virtual cards, instead of increasing a limit.

3 Likes

:man_shrugging:

Not if you want to assign a card to each merchant - it would mean new card details every single time - which is great for people who want that of course, but not so much for others.

I assume the reluctance to do disposable cards is that it doesn’t cost them any less to issue a card (number) for 1 use vs >1 uses. Or perhaps they’re concerned that people will use them for things they’d otherwise avoid, thus exposing Monzo to more risk of having to deal with chargebacks, fraud etc etc…

Its interesting that Revolut made this free recently, I was teetering on premium there for disposable cards…

You should still be able to have the option to have normal virtual cards with limits on them or assigned to a pot for what you need. Then perhaps a disposable one for the transactions you feel less comfortable with? Doesn’t have to be just one or the other.
For an example look at Revolut. They implement it really well.

1 Like

What’s the chances of running out of card numbers if everyone uses 100 per year?

1 Like

I had a look and assuming card numbers are 16-digit and the first six and last one digits are always the same, there are 1000000000 possible combinations for the card number alone. That’s 100 cards each for 10 million customers

1 Like

I’m getting 3D authentication Secure errors trying to use my Virtual Card with my PlayStation and Nintendo accounts for purchases. Anyone seen similar?

I understand virtual cards for not needing to update saved card details online when you replace your bank card. However I still can’t get my head around people wanting them for websites they don’t trust.

If I don’t trust a website I won’t shop there. It’s not worth the risk at all :confused: or am I misunderstanding?

1 Like

I’d probably use one for websites I’ve not used before. It won’t be that I think they’re untrustworthy just that they haven’t earn’t my trust yet.

4 Likes

It’s not about not trusting websites. I actually don’t trust any website with my Debit card details. This is why I use a credit card online for that extra layer of protection as its not linked to my bank account. Having disposable cards would make me more comfortable using debit cards online.

1 Like