Monzo Plus: export to Google Sheets - feedback and thoughts after a couple of weeks of use

There’s also value in knowing whether you used Google Pay or your card (or even which card) - both in the app and in the export, too.

1 Like

Thanks for replying! Obviously I love the fact this export exists - I just want it to be nearly bulletproof!

I can see the logic either way - because of the way I use my accounts, I’d quite like to see both represented in the same data set. One big ol’ data dump that is then infinitlely filterable. I just sense that that approach would be more straightforward to deal with at the user end than having to merge together data sets to do combined analysis (or, have the option for both!)

And I say that coming from a place where I hope my Connected cards data would make it into that set - I’d rather have 1 feed than 5/6 workbooks. But again, either approach brings problems so I appreciate it’s not all straightforward.

They are directly to the pot - so those transactions are skipped. Also brings about a problem of how you could display this - right now if you sum the entire balance column you get your up to date Main account balance. So bringing this in (and any other accounts to my previous point) makes that harder to do without extra filtering.

YNAB solve this is a nice way - they have an “inflow” and “outflow” column. A balance-to-pot transfer, to YNAB, would see two lines in the register - one inflow to the pot, and one outflow from the main account. That way would allow interest to be added to the pot directly, with no issue with balances. (And the Sum of the inflow + outflow column becomes the total account balance).

Expected that would be the case :cry: On the plus side though, you could use that as a way to have year-specific categories. If I had “Christmas 2020” for all my this year spending, I can change it to “2021” next year and past transactions arent affected. (Though that would defeat the purpose for graphing/pivoting I think, but I’m sure there’s a way that can be useful!)

3 Likes

Great post, thanks

Another vote for this. I clicked the “Get Monzo Plus” button hoping to see something a bit more tangible [can something be virtually tangible?] but there was nothing like it to be seen, so I backed out.

I have since had an in-app message asking if I’d like to speak to someone about M+. Once I’d recovered from the shock of my visit being noticed, and impressed with the AI that responded - I said yes. I will report back on what happens. If you don’t hear anything … R-

1 Like

This is the key feature for me and I’ll probably type up some more thoughts when I’m at a proper keyboard, but my first thought is that really at the moment it’s only good for those who know how to work a spreadsheet.

People on here are a very small (probably geekier) subset and I can use a spreadsheet and lots of others on here are far smarter than I am. So it’s to be expected that we can use some formula for our sheets and make it do most of what we want.

But what about those don’t know what a SUMIF is? Or even the people that would like a bit of help/guidance with what can be done.

I think there should be a second sheet that basically gives an overview, “Your Monzo Life”

Your top merchants, spent money per year, a few other facts and then people will realise what they can do with it.

But to just see a big list must be quite intimidating for people. “Where do I start?”

6 Likes

For me, this makes the data export almost useless for me, the most basic things I want to do is be able to plot/calculate totals for pots and see all transactions within a pot over a certain time period. This would be so easy if transactions with split categories were listed as separate rows for each split but as it is the data is basically useless. I’m someone who does have the knowledge to write a script to fix it but honestly I don’t want to spend my time & energy fixing something that should have been thought about at the monzo end

3 Likes

I was today years old when I found out about this:

2 Likes

So some time ago in a sale frenzy I bought Emma Pro for a year (I think it was 70% off at the time). - and just went back to look if they have a data export.

Turns out they do - and it captures all accounts you connect to as one stream. It’s not live, which is a shame, and Pots aren’t handled in the best way possible - but this would be a good version of what one “omni stream” looks like. I may at least use this as a source for my other connected account data in my Dashboard, at least until my subscription at Emma ends.

If you could merge the best bits of Emma’s and the best bits of Monzo, it would be one super tool.

4 Likes

@edo1493 Time to buy Monzo :+1:

1 Like

LoL.

We should be able to add export to Google Sheets. :wink:

ps: we have also added Accurate Net Worth + the fastest category editing you have ever seen over the weekend (in Emma Pro).

2 Likes

Seems there are many budgeting apps that will export a CSV file - MDB, who I currently use for instance. The problem there is the L1 and L2 tags [categories of transaction type according to MDB] that they assign to each transaction have to be edited - or added. Then the CSV data needs to be imported to the spreadsheet app of your choice. This used to be my process each month. I gave up. I am waiting for Money in Excel to come to the UK :weary:

Download CSV for the last month from MDB
Import into Numbers [usually, I have used Sheets and Excel - the process is similar]
Adjust the supplied categories to match your expectations
Delete - or hide - the ones you know you will never use
DIscover that one or two are incorrect and adjust again
Discover that you have far too many categories to make sense of your Spending
Create new category to capture little things - perhaps House
Create another new category to capture one-offs - perhaps Garden
Merge others so that your spreadsheet is not 2 yards long
Manually input that data into another spreadsheet that captures annual figures
Realise that none of it makes sense anymore - give up.
Get glass, ice, Gin, lemon & tonic

R-

3 Likes

A very interesting thread. As a Product Manager (albeit in a different industry), there’s a useful warning about a “partially agile” approach. If you don’t iterate then all you’ll ever have is an uncompetitive Minimum Viable Product.

As a Monzo user, Monzo Plus seems either like a way of creating a lot of work for yourself or a way to save £5 a month.

I shall watch with interest to see how Plus develops.

1 Like

I’ve been busy manipulating the data from my Google sheet into this dashboard in excel. It’s a shame I have had to do this in the first place and (like others) I wish Monzo could do all this stuff in app to allow users to really track their finances month by month. Some of the stuff I’ve made on here (like the left to spend tile) is available in Monzo but is completely useless to me because I do most of my spending on Amex and you can’t currently connect Amex to Monzo and even if you could you can’t categorise those transactions. However, I’ve set up IFTTT to transfer Amex transactions into a pot which then shows up on my Google sheet and voila! I am dreading the day that Google sheet gets changed by Monzo and breaks my dashboard.

10 Likes

Truly a thing of beauty. :two_hearts:

3 Likes

How did you make it look so good!

1 Like

Can you guide us how to do this ?

4 Likes

Stunning. Wow!

2 Likes

That looks incredible.

If monzo offered something like that out the box then that would be worth the £5 a month.

3 Likes

Here are the instructions I followed to connect my Google sheet with excel and then I manipulated the hell out of it in Power Query Editor in Excel. Mine was only so complicated because of how I handle my Amex transactions (transferring my spending to an Amex pot and then using hashtags in the notes as categories) but I’m sure it would be a lot simpler for most. Power Query was relatively easy to pick up with a bit of trial and error. Once you have your transactions in Excel, the World is your oyster when it comes to what you then do with that! Design wise, I made my background and the tiles that you can see in Adobe and then used it as a background in Excel, resizing the rows and columns to fit my data nicely.

6 Likes

Thanks for sharing that - really interesting - hadnt considered there possibility of adding the data to excel!

I wonder if it also means I can use the same data in Power BI which is like Dashboarding dialled up to 11…

One to look into…