Monzo + one other bank

What do you like about the TSB app?

One of my accounts is also with TSB but don’t see anything particularly noteworthy about their app.

1 Like

It’s not amazing but something seems to be changing with it every month, usually for the better. You can set a profile pic, verify a new payee with finger print and copy account details. All of which relative to Santander, which I had for years, is fairly revolutionary :joy:

They recently introduced Statements via the app. It’s more just a feel of improvement I’d say

4 Likes

I’m about basic functionality. They added statements, messages in app recently.
Card pending transactions, cards management…
They catch on fast… it took ages for HSBC to add card pending transactions for example.

2 Likes

In all fairness HSBC are doing instant notifications now. I just need TSB to do the same and I could be tempted to switch more over. My Monzo notifications are about 25 minutes off for card payments

TSB do some things really well. I really like the welcome screen. It shows your account balance and a list of recent payees. But my favourite screen is the input amount screen. I’ve not seen one as clear and easy use anywhere else.

I had to vote for Other because I want a fully digital, online bank but ethics are very important.
Thus Starling is my equal second, as the digital bank, along with Nationwide whose corporate heart seems to be in the right place.

Hurry up Nationwide and get fully digital!

As an aside, I only went with Starling because they provided business banks accounts. I’m now eligible for a Monzo business account but I’m not going through the phaff of moving now.

It pays to be first providing customers with what they want!

Does Nationwide still charge fees for declined direct debits or standing orders? How is stealing from your most vulnerable customers ethical when there’s no technical reason for it (declining a payment doesn’t cost them anything)?

1 Like

Technically, yes. But the fee is £0

I believe Nationwide and the other banks were forced to change their charging structure to stop that sort of gauging.

Instead, they all (including Monzo) raised their overdraft rate to 39.5%

1 Like

You can now search for transactions with TSB

1 Like

Limited to 3 month windows though, which is a pain.

Do any traditional banks offer search of entire account history in a single search, like Monzo?

It’s rather clunky as well, just tried it.

But still, something rather than nothing

Monzo all my wages get paid into and DDs, Rent etc come out from that, Starling I use the connected card for my supermarket shopping and I have the equivalent of pots set up holding various savings amounts for different things.

I basically do this already. I used to have a Natwest, Lloyds and Monzo. Natwest was bills, Lloyds for spends. I used the account switching service to move my bills to Monzo and that closed my Natwest account.

I don’t really use the Lloyds account, but I’m keeping it for now. There’s little things with Monzo that are far more hassle than they need to be. Contacting chat to raise limits etc. I bought a car last year, I walked into a branch and took out the cash over the counter and that was it. Easy. Paying in cheques, I get them very infrequently, but it’s just easier there.

I also have an old school savings jar, taking out coins to put in there isn’t easy with Monzo. Although not sure if I could do this at the post office? Maybe I could.

Does anyone know if any high street banks offer notifications for direct debits a day ahead of it coming out (like Monzo and Starling)?

1 Like

What a difference a week makes. The app has crashed and frozen on me so many times, displaying various error messages and sometimes none. I have been asked to reinstall and authenticate the app multiple times and often have to close 5 mins later once it gives up trying to load or force stop the app just to try and login again. It also crashed across the board for 8 hours on a day I moved house. Not sure if it’s to do with the maintenance a few weeks but I moved a few direct debits to the account, and now I’m thinking about packing it in!

I’ve put in a complaint, so will give them a chance to try and keep me on board at least.

July 1st, by any chance?

If it makes you feel better my TSB account was locked out and then locked out to even TSB for a whole five days a couple of years back in the main meltdown on the weekend I moved house.

Didn’t have any access to my money for five days, had to borrow off friends and family. A lesson that always having two bank accounts is a good idea. Also not having any access to your funds whatsoever is genuinely one of the most frightening experiences of my life, makes you appreciate it more.

Anywho - for Me it’s Monzo and Natwest currently

3 Likes

Yes.

For now, I’m moving to using the account off the website only.

I can log in to that without a bug or crash…

Any more issues and I’ll CASS to Monzo and just have Monese and maybe get a cash card for a savings account in case of emergency

1 Like

It there an option for “a bank with a good easy access interest rate”? I’d go with that.