Monzo Metal Card

Some Twitter activity from Monzo about this :eyes:

6 Likes

Technically money will buy it though :thinking:

Or shall I say rent it

2 Likes

Itā€™s actually a really good question though. How will they ensure people donā€™t sign up then change their minds?

With a Plus card if you sign up and cancel theyā€™re out Ā£2-3. With a metal card if you cancel I doubt theyā€™ll ask you to return it but with high costs itā€™s risky to send it out straightaway. Will they only send it once the cooling-off period is up? Will they make it a separate paid addition, if so, for how much? Will they add a cancellation fee, if so, how will that work with the cooling-off period?

Really interested in how this can be implemented. How do Revolut and Curve do it?

I suspect this will work the same as the Monzo Plus card, but with a higher monthly fee coupled with a longer minimum term.

I think that if you cancel your Revolut metal within the 14 days, even though you do not have to pay for the 12 months that the contract lasts for, I believe they charge you Ā£50 (ish) for the card itself.

Whether the card still works afterwards or not, is something I donā€™t know

Edit: from Revolutā€™s T&Cs it looks like within 14 days (cooling off period) you can cancel ā€œfor freeā€ in the way that it gets you out of the 12 month contract, but they will charge you Ā£40 for the card + a delivery fee

1 Like

Not really because youā€™ve either paid Ā£15 for three months or they charge you Ā£5 for the card if you opt out during the 14 day cooling off period.

1 Like

I meant Monzo are out Ā£2-3 if they sent you the card already. Although they charge Ā£5, donā€™t they?

So I was on wired and I found this article https://www.wired.co.uk/article/monzo-expansion-survival-coronavirus and it does mention that Tom does have a metal monzo card sooo metal cards seem to be on the horizon at some point.

3 Likes

Metal card will be part of the ā€˜Premiumā€™ package. No dates have been set for this launch (:monzo: will likely be waiting to see how the current ā€˜Plusā€™ works out) but rumours point to a 2021 launch.

The Premium launch will probably include travel & lifestyle benefits, both of which are restricted at this point, so no point launching such a product yet.

Iā€™m still watching for the appearance of the metal card image(s) in the app code on each new app release :wink:

10 Likes

Monzo (White) metal card- ā€œItā€™s hereā€¦ā€

poltergeist

(Well, almost)

3 Likes

:eyes::eyes::eyes::eyes::eyes::eyes:

1 Like

THE METAL CARD IS CONTACTLESS!?

How is this possible?

Edit: image from the latest teardown:
card_activation_pan_metal_white

Itā€™s sandwiched plastic or plastic backed, not 100% metal

3 Likes

I was hoping theyā€™d do metal only and forego contactless personally. Not surprising that they didnā€™t though, as it makes more sense to just copy what already works for others. Safest option for profitability.

My sandwiched metal cards all look stunning, but they never withstood the test of time, and eventually started peeling apart. I donā€™t see Monzo fixing that.

I do like that itā€™s pure white though, rather than black, or a metallic colour. Simple and different is always nice. Hope it looks as tasty as the white iPhone 4 did. Although I do prefer black things myself. Especially Jet Black.

3 Likes

It would work similar to Curve Metal. The front is metal and the back is plastic type. My AMEX is not contactless as its all metal

1 Like

Just curious wonā€™t these metal cards destroy wallets as theyā€™ll be very sharp?

No, my Metal Curve Card was very well rounded on the edges if thatā€™s anything to go off :slightly_smiling_face:

Why is everyone so hyped for a metal cardā€¦ I have two and theyā€™re a little heavier and thatā€™s it. Most people use ApplePay or the equivalent.

1 Like

Itsā€¦ Metal :joy:

1 Like

With the costs involved i hope its an opt in part of any premium model.

Im happy for others to want them and subsidise my use of monzo but see no point in them myself either so would far rather to keep my basic old hot coral card and not have to pay for a metal one.

3 Likes