Monzo Labs: Share Card Replacements šŸ’³

Thatā€™s the most annoying thing about getting a new card, telling Spotify, Netflix, et al.

16 Likes

If this is the thing thats been teased on slack, then its Mastercard Automatic billing updater :smile:

More info :arrow_down_small:

https://developer.mastercard.com/product/automatic-billing-updater

7 Likes

Oh boy, this is awesome.

I just wish it had existed five days ago! :expressionless:

9 Likes

Cooooooool feature

Iā€™ve just created a wiki (which anyone can update) to let users know which merchants do support this :raised_hands:

Merchants that support sharing card replacements (Open Wiki)

10 Likes

I was just about to flag this up but @alexs beat me to it!

Glad Monzo have flagged up that the merchant also needs to support the MasterCard/Visa merchant update system

2 Likes

Stripe claimed to support this for ages - is it the same thing or something different?

Also I hope this remains opt-in. There are cases when you replace a card to prevent an ongoing subscription from an uncooperative merchant - in this case you donā€™t want them to get your updated card details. Could also have privacy implications.

6 Likes

I do believe that all banks need to offer an opt out option for this

Amazonā€™s help article on this:

3 Likes

This is very cool :grin:

How do I get an in on the slack channel?

You can join at https://devslack.monzo.com

4 Likes

Awesome feature!

How does this work if youā€™ve had your card replaced due to fraud? Wouldnā€™t want a fraudulent Spotify subscription having your new details :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I believe thereā€™s flags for the merchants as to why the card has changed but Iā€™m not sure if itā€™s down to the merchant how they decide to handle certain change categories.

Regarding merchant list I believe thereā€™s a list available internally from MasterCard but not for consumer publication

1 Like

Does using this feature change the amount or type of data Monzo shares with Mastercard? I assume they already have all the necessary data, but would be good to know before enabling.

@jzw95 We will send a message to Mastercard saying that your old card number and expiry date is being has been replaced with your new card number and expiry date. I believe thatā€™s the only information which is shared by this feature.

Mastercard canā€™t link the cards together without this, because they donā€™t know that the cards are linked to the same bank account.

11 Likes

I needed exactly this when I replaced my card a couple of days ago.

After a lot of frustration I found out that Google Pay didnā€™t let me remove my old card or add my new one. All I got was a generic error message stating that it was tied to a subscription and I couldnā€™t work out which. In the end it was tied to Googles own subscription (for their APIs) so this feature would have helped massively.

Great work though :+1:

1 Like

I was under the impression that Google Pay was updated automatically regardless of this feature. Is this not the case?

We already update the card in your Apple Pay or Google Pay wallet as soon as you activate your replacement card, and have done so since launch as far as I know. :+1:

8 Likes

Itā€™s never worked for me :-1:, always had to remove my old card and add my new one.

8 Likes