Monzo Labs: Pay anyone by text or email

I think it’s more of the fact that the URL is so long when you message/text it to someone. I don’t think many people particularly care when it’s in the browser. A URL shortner with a redirect would be fine but I imagine this might compromise the security of the long URL :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

The link was via WhatsApp and that’s why he said what he said… In general most people don’t know that all that means this (even I didn’t know that that was a secure thing :laughing:) butnir there’s a way to replace the look of it to a more slick button with all that contained, could improve the hesitation of someone just clicking the link, rather than calling or messaging me to ask what the heck is this. :blush:

What do you think we could do to make the link look less like a scam? Is there a reason a shorter/different link is better? Ironically the length of the random string in the link is what makes this secure, but we could shorten it considerably without much impact on security. I’m mainly wondering why a shorter link would look less dodgy in this case.

2 Likes

Use monzo.me/my.real.name/collect as the url base since that’s both “legit” and clearly associated with me personally - and let me give a “collection reference” when creating the link before you add a bit of randomness at the end?
monzo.me/my.name/collect/for-Bob-to-pay-you-for-lunch/abc123 looks way more legit to the person collecting (since it always says why!) and is as secure as battery-horse-staple :slight_smile:

10 Likes

This seems to have vanished from the app without warning :eyes:

Any reason why? :smiley:

3 Likes

Look at android in slack :wink:

5 Likes

Noticed it as well as I went to use it.

At least people noticing it is gone means that people are using it!

3 Likes

Be good if someone with slack could let us know the reason :wink:

1 Like

Read Kieran’s reply quoting me 2 posts up

3 Likes

Ah I missed that. Thanks!

1 Like

Hopefully when RCS is more widespread and commonplace Monzo will be able to do something like this:

Instead of a big old URL.

5 Likes

Or, at the very least an image, customized or static of something when shared in messaging apps like below:

4 Likes

What’s RCS, please?

1 Like

Rich Communication Services, aimed at replacing SMS.

3 Likes

To add on to what @MRMR said, think of it as iMessage for Android :wink:

1 Like

…but unfortunately minus the end-to-end encryption :frowning_man:

1 Like

Yeah, and minus the “popularity”… :frowning:

3 Likes

Hopefully It’ll become more mainstream in due course, it’s definitely better then traditional SMS.

1 Like

Yep, agreed!

1 Like

Does it show up a rich link when you send it via iMessage? (Like when you sent a link of a website YouTube video) or is it just the text link?

1 Like