Monzo investor card - design concept (By Brice Corbin)

MERRY CHRISTMAS FELLOW INVESTORS! :dizzy:

3 Likes

Great response!

IMG_20181221_205833601_HDR

4 Likes

Apparently according to ancient folk legend (and theyā€™ve said so) the Debenhams gift card was the inspiration behind the hot coral card

4 Likes

Makes sense. It definitely stands out in the strip of cards in my local CoOp. It catches my eye every time I go in.

nice designs, wow!

1 Like

Thatā€™s true, not so much about hot coral but about considering a neon colour as an option. If I remember correctly the one we saw was pink, but the point stands.

3 Likes

Based on this thread, Iā€™m currently reading the big manual that Mastercard provide us with that states all the rules about card design and the acceptable/unacceptable variations.

Iā€™d really love to share parts of it but I believe this is one of the NDAā€™d documents. What I can say is that there is certainly some interesting wiggle room Iā€™ve found in the specs. :eyes:

I think Hugo makes some really great points around building a card that meets expectations, is accepted in more places, and is machine (both optically and imprint) readable rather than pushing too far into non-standard card designs. There are certainly things we could do to tighten up our current designs that wouldnā€™t break expectations too badly. :slightly_smiling_face:

We also have to consider the manufacturing realities with our suppliers. Cards are generally produced in two steps, stock production (where they make the cards) and then personalisation (where they stamp your name and card number in). We can do a lot with the design in the stock production stage without making the card more expensive but modifying the personalisation production line can come at a huge cost. All of these added together are why weā€™d generally like to keep the basic layout of the embossed sections of the card.

Legally, this is absolutely okay. It just causes a few problems because the apps and certain features were built around the expectation that there will only be one active card. My team are thinking about scoping out how much work this would be to fix in 2019 as it unlocks a whole host of possibilities.

Once thatā€™s done, Iā€™d love to offer up some of our teamā€™s ideas as limited experiments in Labs at some point. For example, could we offer a feature that allows you to have a second card that when used, would always tag purchases as expenses or bills, or took funds from a pot. We could offer an experimental Maestro card for those going to Germany or The Netherlands. We could seed a new design or chip profile out to people without panicking about if itā€™ll cause people to be unable to pay for things. :smile:

30 Likes

Has any more thought been given to making use of the power and storage of the existing card?

Nothing of note yet. We have a bunch of vague ideas but I have no idea if any of them will even work!

3 Likes

Iā€™m Happy with existing card. I donā€™t need more plastic waste. Rather focus your energy in creating something useful.

2 Likes

Yes, the existing card is good but I was thinking a design like the one I inserted would be good for some of their packaged accountsā€¦

They donā€™t offer packaged accounts, and as far as weā€™re aware, they have no plans to release one :confused:

4 Likes

Canā€™t always be right! :dizzy::v:t2:

Has this design been stolen from here?

5 Likes

I mean, it sure looks like itā€¦

2 Likes

I mean to be fair to the OP, they didnā€™t say they designed it but they also didnā€™t give credit. They also didnā€™t correct people who complemented their ā€œworkā€.

How on earth did you find it?

3 Likes

1 Like

Who changed the name on the card though?

3 Likes

If itā€™s true I can see why other variants were not created when people asked for them, including you @HoddzDJ :wink:

This is why I asked the question instead of implying it. If it turns out to be true then it isnā€™t fair to the creator at all and they certainly should be given credit. :slight_smile: