Monzo in the media

Speculation is mounting that the bank is preparing for an IPO, but it is understood there are no immediate plans for any listing

…so to cut a very short story even shorter, some people are speculating about something but they are wrong

5 Likes

What a terrible article. Sounds like they’ve “reduced” just owing to the dilution from funding rounds, rather than actively selling off their stake.

7 Likes

Wow is that what passes off as a news article these days :sweat_smile:

I swear journalists get lazier by the day at certain news organisations.

7 Likes

It’s taken them over 2 weeks to spot this.

At least they didn’t say breaking news

6 Likes

Not sure what gave you that impression! The article, nor headline seems misleading to me, they’re quite clear it’s a reduction, and explain what caused it.

I was sharing more for the IPO stuff. That’s what I’m interested in. Not share dilution. When Monzo’s on Freetrade, I’ll be buying, and I’m excited for that!

3 Likes

“Reduces stake” sounds to me like an active action to sell up, with the implication that something is up, and then you find it’s just that they have not invested in the last round or two, so more active inaction

I know the distinction is small, but I don’t believe that the Mail didn’t know how I and others would read it

12 Likes

Agree completely - the headline doesn’t fit the article. They could have just as easily never written the article as it’s not really news…

2 Likes

TIL This is Money is owned by the Mail!

Fair enough, I suppose. Not how I read it personally, I just take it literally and at face value, in that a stake reduction ≠ a sell off. If it was a sale, I’d have expected the headline to state as such.

3 Likes

I sort of disagree, which is why I think the article is BS - selling shares is a sell off, but not buying 40% of new shares every time there is additional funding, isn’t really a sell off…

I agree. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

The headlines are almost never written by the journalists who write the articles. So mistakes or erroneous sum-ups can and do happen.

4 Likes
1 Like

The article has some ‘‘print mistakes’’ :expressionless:
eg Revolut
‘‘Launched in 2015, the London-based unicorn currently serves around 2 million customers across 42 countries’’

1 of :monzo: Cons
‘‘Monthly limit of £5,500’’

2 Likes

“This platform is best suited for the younger crowd, thanks to its intuitive interface”

Because an older person wouldn’t want an intuitive interface… :roll_eyes:

15 Likes

What a weird article. It doesn’t actually answer the questions it sets itself in the title.

I agree with @aCCount, the author absolutely approaches this with a load of bias.

2 Likes

That’s a terrible piece of journalism. Never heard of the page, but looking at it it seems like someone’s hobby project, not necessarily something I’d give much consideration to. Even the image is super low res on my screen

2 Likes

Really burying the lede :laughing:

1 Like

Haha We all know old people (what age is old?) absolutely love overly complex and non-intuitive interfaces.

1 Like

It’s just another rehash of the same things he said before. Does he not have a better job?

1 Like

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-07-27/robinhood-working-on-feature-to-let-users-invest-spare-change

More “Monzo’s idea cloned by someone else and in the media”, but still, interesting that Robin Hood want to rip off roundups.