Monzo card but in a wristband

100% for festivals, running, the beach, even poping to the corner shop.
I’d not take my phone or wallet to the corner shop for a pint of milk if I had a wrist band on all the time.

1 Like

I’d sign up for this. Even it if meant paying a small fee upfront for the band …

1 Like

My Apple Watch fits this use-case perfectly.

The lack of widespread online PIN support in the UK seriously hurts the usefulness of this, doesn’t it?

1 Like

I’m not so sure. From the people I’ve chat to about this, the use case for a weatherproof payments wristband is more for festivals and events where you’re likely to be making smaller purchases for food and drinks (anywhere from £5 to £20 let’s say).

The wristband has additional benefits of being attached to you and more difficult to lose, drop, or steal than a traditional card.

I certainly don’t think this could replace the card for all situations but as an additional option, it has a use case.

As for smart watches, I possibly wouldn’t trust them to UK festivals. :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

I would love a wrist watch specific clamp. That could turn an old school watch into a watch that supports payment

Do you mean like:
or a fully integrated strap?

2 Likes

Exactly that!!!

That’s one of the bPay options (was mentioned above)

2 Likes

Good point, it would be very useful in that setting!

I used to use one of those bPay things when they came out - (though I used the chip in a keyring, not as a wristband, but all the same).

It was really useful for those £30 transactions that contactless allowed; but once Mobile Pay options came out, I ended up never using the thing. Even more so now I have an Apple Watch with payment options.

It’s definitely valuable for scenarios like festivals, or places when you don’t have your device - but that’s so far and few between these days. I used to use one of those things multiple times a day - especially on the tube - but not so much any longer.

The idea is to have something affordable and pretty basic, without all the bloatware in a smartwatch. something like this: https://lykcard.com/waveband/

I would definitely be interested in something like this. Would be awesome if Monzo considers this, something like this: https://lykcard.com/waveband/