Monzo app linked to mobile number or actual device?

Apologies if this has been asked before, I did do a search but couldn’t find anything.
As the title suggests, I would like to know if the Monzo App is linked to the registered phone number or just the device the App is downloaded to.
I’m asking because due to the nature of our travels, we very often use a local SIM when we are abroad to save the cost of roaming charges.
I know when we visited Russia earlier in the year, and our phones were operating on local SIM cards, Starling worked just as it does at home.
Therefore I was wondering if Monzo works in the same way.
All info very much appreciated.

Thanks

Hi there Ivan!

The only thing you need to access your account is the email address :grinning: As long as you’ve got access to your email on any device, you’ll be able to login no matter what SIM you have in there.

I run Monzo on two different devices simultaneously - one Android and one iOS. When I travel, I put a local SIM in one of them :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks for the quick reply.
Will it work the same as Starling did (changed the SIM, and it just worked as normal), or will I need to log in again once the new SIM is being used?

It will work like starling did.

The registered phone number is just your contact number and where verification codes go to, that sim doesn’t have to be in your phone for the app to work.

2 Likes

Brilliant, Thank you

looks like Monzo is off th Russia with us next year then :grin: :grin: :grin:

2 Likes

I was wondering if there is a way to change your contact number to a non uk number for the same reason of using a local sim whilst traveling? Specifically for authorisation sms’.

Yes - just get in touch with us through the in-app chat :slight_smile: