Monzo App blocked because I won’t share personal data

I don’t think they do, actually. Your first post gave me the impression they had closed your account, but @michaelw90 surely has it right in saying they have :

Which is to say, they don’t want to lose you as a customer, but they can’t keep you if you don’t provide the needed information. They’re doing everything possible to keep you, but from their point of view they need you to play ball as well.

3 Likes

But you agreed to that when you registered? You agreed in the terms that they can close your account with 2 months notice for any reason they choose.

Each to their own, but I suggest you start taking a look at moving away then, as I don’t see Monzo suddenly changing their mind and giving your app access back just because you don’t want to give the info.

1 Like

3 Likes

Little puzzled that if a bank had a data breach so bad hackers got all your financial information that the bit that worries some people is they know your job title…???

2 Likes

Revolut are in the process of asking everybody.

5 Likes

‘Know your customer’ regulation is about knowing it in an ongoing sense. Sometimes, small flags or other reasons may require them to find out a little more. This is FCA regulation, and every bank will have their interpretations but it’s a similar deal for all of them.

It’s nothing to worry about really, I’d just fill it in. Given my salary goes into my bank account, they already know my salary anyway :sweat_smile:.

It’s regulatory, they aren’t using it for personalised ads or selling your data to right wing election campaigns or something.

3 Likes

phew I was afraid of right wing electioneers, far better to only have the left wing electioneers know my data

1 Like

In life, if you’re not sure about anything it’s best to ask or seek answers for yourself. So in this case, opening up live chat to ask why they need this information or a search on here could have helped.

If you bury your head in the sand / ignore it, you can make situations far worse than they need to be.

2 Likes

I think this thread has run it’s course @AlanDoe

2 Likes