Monzo and the Pride flag

Hi Monzo!

Please update your Monzo Pride logo so that it reflects the most updated version. You are missing many colours representative of other identities and minorities who have been recognised in the most updated version of the Pride flag - please update to show your solidarity and continued support of the growing community. As you’re choosing to acknowledge and be in support of the community, it would be good for you to stay up to date on such significant changes.

A post was merged into an existing topic: Removed Posts - July 20

I think the current one shows enough, otherwise you’ll have to keep adding to it when they change the logo next time?

And is this even official? I know there’s been talk about the logo not being “inclusive enough” :zipper_mouth_face: for a while.

5 Likes

I respect what it’s trying to achieve but that flag design is uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuugly!

5 Likes

As far as ‘official’ goes, I think this one is the most up to date.

Most queer orgs I see and interact with seem to use this now but I guess mileage may vary.

Don’t necessarily disagree re practicality given small size of logo tho.

2 Likes

It’s a bit bland. Throw some more colours on it.

6 Likes

So many questions…

• What do each of the colours represent?
  • Who is responsible for the design / allocation of colours?
  • Why an arrow and not just more horizontal bars?
  • Where did these new ones come from and why weren’t they there before?
  • How do you get a new colour added?
7 Likes
2 Likes

Thanks @Dunsford - I could be represented by more than one flag described there. Officially confused now. Is there a colour for that? R-

1 Like

What does the brown and black lines mean?

Ruins the perfect rainbow imo.

Originally black was added for those who had died of AIDS.

Today brown and black also shows solidarity for people of colour, who are often marginalised in the LGBTQ+ community.

Overall, for me, the six-colour rainbow is an all-inclusive representation of sexuality and gender. Other flags exist for those people in different subsets of queer – take a look at the link @Dunsford posted, there are so many! – but I don’t feel they need to all be overlaid onto the same flag like the example at the top of this thread. As soon as you do that, you start to exclude other subsets, and then where do you stop?

11 Likes

Thanks for that, I didn’t know there were lots of different types :slight_smile: or that this design was a kickstarter campaign!

1 Like

See, I just always assumed (perhaps naively) that the rainbow was symbolically meant to represent the whole literal spectrum of queer/marginalised groups – and any group that feels they should be represented by the rainbow, can be.

Design-wise it’s perfect; extremely recognisable and striking. Slapping on extra colours to represent specific groups just makes it a mess.

20 Likes

Personally I think that’s how it should be. But this flag doesn’t represent me, so maybe I shouldn’t have a say.

I just seems illogical to assign a colour to each ‘group’ and then have the issue of adding more colours etc.

3 Likes

That’s exactly what I understood too - as far as ‘deep symbolism’ goes, having a literal spectrum on your flag is a pretty good metaphor for a spectrum of people.

Isn’t there a fair bit of upset about this flag by the LGBT+ communities for the same reason: “I thought I was represented by the pride flag, but now we’re adding specific bands it seems I’m not”.

4 Likes

Exactly, it messes up the flag and the message.

Eh, I should keep my nose out anyway – I’m not part of any group represented by the flag, unless grumpy designers are in there.

4 Likes

A because there’ll probably never be a more relevant thread (i.e. one where Flags are mentioned) - this is my all time favourite video about Flag Design - I urge anyone to watch it, especially grumpy designers:

4 Likes

this is mine -

2 Likes

Still, it’s good that all the straight white men got to have their say on this.

3 Likes

I volunteer for a couple of prides in my local area, and we’ve had a lot of discussions around which flag we should use.

There is, sadly, still a big issue of racism within the LGBT+ community, although steps have been taken recently to remove ethnicity filters on apps like Grindr. In part, this new flag is a step towards helping those subjected to racism and transphobia feel more included in the community that’s supposed to be a safe place for them.

We ultimately decided on the stance that if the new flag helps some of our heavily under-represented groups, not just in the greater community but within our own LGBT+ community, feel included in the conversation and in our society, then what’s the harm in using it?

6 Likes