Monzo and the Environment

Yeah but it does get away from the fact they are very cloak and dagger with their figures where as standard fuel is well documented and strictly regulated. And the laws on emissions for modern petrol and diesel cars are so tight these days. The best alternative at the moment is hybrid where electric cells are charged by the diesel or petrol engine. I currently drive a 2.2L diesel mitsubishi outlander I would have got the PHEV hybrid version could I have afforded it at the show room. But the price meant I went for the diesel. So electric and hybrid need making more accessible also.

What’s the life of a battery though before it need replacing at another cost to the environment over a diesel engine that when well maintained should last a lifetime.

From Electric Cars: Myths vs Facts:

BATTERIES DON’T LAST

“The batteries don’t last long and are super expensive to replace!”

This one is a resoundingly false from all my research. Many people compare the longevity of their cellphone battery to the longevity of an EV battery, which is apples and oranges. You might notice significant degradation on your phone in a few years, but not so in an EV. They have different battery chemistry, different use cases, and charging patterns. Nissan Leaf taxis have been shown to have 75% of their battery capacity after 120,000 miles (193,000 km) of service [5]. Tesla’s show an even better longevity with 5% loss after 50,000 miles (80,000 km), and another 5% after 150,000 miles (241,000 km). With the average U.S. driver going about 13,000 miles per year, and owning a car on average for 7 years [6] you will not even come close to needing to replace the battery on a new car. Not to mention that most EVs come with an 8 year or 100,000+ mile warranty on the battery. The average usable lifespan of the battery will extend way beyond that point.

NB: the article has provided sources for its claims.

So currently an electric car will last as long as a petrol or diesel car for the average (American) user and the technology is improving rapidly.

3 Likes

Just so it’s clear I’m playing devils advocate here. But I do stand by the fact that the carbon figures for electric cars production xnd manufacture are very unclear. And Until l it is not accessible and user friendly ie not needing a full 12 hours to charge the things up to get 100milesbout of it then conventional fuels will almost certainly trump it.
And my major point to start with was that it is hard for any company to be carbon neutral just by the nature of the way things are manufactured in the world.

1 Like

Americans are a little renowned for bad car maintenance and a throw away culture though. My dad runs a series1 land rover that still has its original engine he is the second owner after his dad and when it’s passed to me I will keep it going lets see an electric car last that long.

I’m not aware of any electric car needing 12 hours charge to get 100 miles.

1 Like

The point is it takes longer to charge than to fuel up and you don’t get the mileage that you get with a modern deisel motor I get nearly a 1000 miles on mine in eco mode. And I don’t drive conservatively.

Maybe not the most neutral collection of research parties there!

I also s had electric companies in there as well as manufactures and rolls Royce who have it in their best interests

Youll probably have to provide an actual source as your providing incorrect info and changing the goalposts a lot.
I’d be interested in the sources you have for your claims.

You’re comparing very new electric cars to traditional cars that have been evolving for decades. I don’t think anybody is expecting electric cars to hit the shelves as the best ever way of getting around.

However, for the regular commute and a weekly shop, an electric car would be sufficient for most people with 1 charge a week and far cheaper running costs

Still more expensive than the equivalent to buy though and it’s the initial out lay where they struggle. No one I know would currently buy an electric car Until l significant improvements to the cars themselves and the infrastructure to support them ie charging points are made and the prices drop to buy them.

As much as I like a Kia e-Niro, my friend’s questions go back to them wanting to make small changes in how they live their lives and the services they use. So they are making changes to how they shop, commute, who they get energy and other services from, and banking is one of those areas.

Gotta start somewhere though, and the early adopters will support the development

The tech already exists though look a formula E for example they can fully charge the cars in seconds and they run for miles too. The car companies need to use the tech and make it available and affordable for anything to really change any time soon. They need to stop thinking about their pockets and more about the environmental impact but a big CEO of a motor company is unlikely to do this without solid government intervention

Hmmmm :face_with_monocle: Looks like car manufacturers have a rich history of telling the truth.
Would nice to see the argument for petrol/diesel cars prosecuted with some credible data to back it up.

The transition to electric or renewable fuel sources wont happen overnight, it takes time for people to adopt and for the technology to improve as people invest in it. But thats no reason to say its not worthwhile.

1 Like

On Monzo and the environment though. I’d like to see Monzo commit to net zero emissions in the near future. The recent Committee on Climate Change report calls for it by 2050, although others say it’s needed much sooner.

Monzo should maintain its mantle as a leader of change and bake zero emissions into it’s business strategy while it’s still young. Better now than being a late adopter thats forced to adapt as customers and the government start to demand it. :zombie:

3 Likes

This is the whole issue we can’t trust them to be transparent.

Then make that your argument instead of making claims about petrol vs electric cars without backing them up with evidence.

2 Likes

http://newobserveronline.com/new-study-electric-cars-are-worse-for-environment-than-diesel-engines/

Just one of many articles stating that electric cars are 20 - 30% worse for the environment. Due to the production of the things