Monzo and the Environment

Skim reading this… Monzo are making cars now, wow… ohh wait…

So, back to the topic in hand.

I think due to they way they operate and from what @Rika mentioned Monzo are doing ok with their attempts here, like everyone ‘could do better’ but if everyone else was doing ‘ok’ then the planet would be fine.

IMO.

1 Like

I think you need to find yourself a better news source than a website with racist headlines about “white genocide”, “non-white invaders”, “orthodox jewish drug rings” and a host of climate change conspiracy theories. Looks like that study they quoted was well and truly debunked.

https://chargedevs.com/newswire/here-we-go-again-german-research-institute-claims-diesels-are-cleaner-than-evs/

1 Like

Or, I guess, someone could close this massively off-topic thread??

1 Like

I think it would be better to get it back on topic, because I think its important. :hugs:

I think ok isn’t really good enough anymore, and the planet isn’t doing fine.
Consumers will increasingly make commercial decisions based on environmental impact. Net zero carbon would give Monzo a big edge in this respect and show they’re a truly progressive and ethical business.

5 Likes

OK.

When I say ‘ok’ I mean, if the majority of people were doing their best to avoid plastic packaging, being mindful of waste, driving less (!), etc etc etc then (and I think i read it recently) it would make a big difference.

At the moment it seems like most people are ‘less than ok’ and ‘could do better’ (I’m in that bracket too). That’s all I mean.

And some consumers will make decisions with this in mind but I think the majority still won’t (can I use Brexit as an example here? it’s bad for us in the UK but surveys show that STILL people would vote to LEAVE anyway…).

I think the environment is important too, and I think Monzo are taking good steps to adjust things in their control, credit to them (or maybe just Monzo Plus points or whatever … :slight_smile:)

I’m curious… The people that are asking Monzo to do more, what do they do to help the environment?

Do you avoid plastic packaging yourself?
Have a composting toilet?
Walk instead of drive?

This is not a dig, just would be interesting to read :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Yes I avoid plastic packaging, and wash all my recycling.
No I don’t have a composting toilet.
I get the bus everyday to work and back, my two year old car has done less than 9000 miles.
I walk more than I drive.
I use a re-usable coffee cup when I buy coffee
I have several refillable water bottles, always have one with me.
I am cutting down my meat consumption.

And there is more I could do for sure.

Do I get a badge now? :wink:

3 Likes

Why is meat bad for the environment? :confused:

1 Like

Yeah, looking at replacements to our gas boiler, getting solar panels, moving to an electric car (lets not go there please) and eating less meat.

But as I do that, I’ll look at what I do across the board, and look at companies, and wonder what there doing to help. So if Monzo aspiration is to go Carbon net zero then great, if Monzo Points is used to encourage better environmental behaviour, then amazing, it’s one of those things I and I suspect others would be keen to know

2 Likes

I guess they would need to have a long term plan? Because it’s not as easy for a large company to source new suppliers, transition and educate 1000’s of staff like it is for you and your family to simply change habits?

Then there is the cost of all this too.

:star2::yum: Gold star for gmclean! (badge is in the mail)

But seriously, all this stuff adds up. Theres lots of stuff you can do to reduce your impact. It would be naive to think we can totally eliminate our impact on the planet, but we can certainly reduce it, and what we cant reduce we can try and offset. Even just switching your electricity and gas to a supplier that uses renewables to offset your use is a big step, and might even save you some money! If you can get a big business to do the same thats a huge impact.

Maybe just as importantly at this stage if you can get a leading business that people look up to to do it, it can demonstrate that it’s not impossible or cost prohibitive. If Monzo, the new guys trying to do things better, did it it would be a big encouragement to their staff, customers and other businesses to follow suit.

I think the other thing to add is that in the very near future they may not have a choice. The government might mandate that they have to do it, so they might as well be prepared now instead of having to play catch up later. Unfortunatley there is a cost to it, but the cost of doing nothing will be even bigger.

1 Like

Probably the biggest impact monzo and everyone here could make is restricting or prohibiting any involvement with China until they decide to do something, as like it or not China is the country increasing emissions. The UK is lowering them, but even at zero the UK would hardly make a dent in comparison.

Of course the obvious issue is we end up in the Stone Age in doing so :smile:

1 Like

China is the world leader in renewable energy production, and energy production is the largest source of greenhouse gas emissions. They’re doing massive amounts to try and combat climate change and pollution because of huge impact it has on their population. The EU has higher per-capita emissions than China. One thing we can do is stop buying cheap disposable crap from them :sweat_smile:

It’s easy to pass the blame and say it’s someone else’s problem but the reality is it’s everyones problem. The UK is a world leader in business, economy, technology etc and should lead by example.

4 Likes

It’s everyones problem I agree which is why we should be looking everywhere. UK emissions have been on a continuous decline, better than some EU counties recently. That needs to work in conjunction with China, because as much as we are reducing emissions, China are increasing emissions at a faster rate.

2 Likes

The reference to Monzo Points reminds me of this firm which is already doing this: Log In To Invest In Businesses Or Raise Startup Funding

1 Like

Requires large amounts of land => Fewer trees == More greenhouse gases

Requires large amount of water => Less water

Has lots of farting animals => More greenhouse gases

3 Likes

There will of course be counterpoints and conditions, but reducing meat consumption across populations is one of the few major changes that we could make to actually avoid environmental damage and runaway climate.

The other ones, power generation, carbon fuels, plastic pollution, require either inter-governmental action or some technical breakthroughs to really get shifting

Its worth keeping in mind that its not as simple as “don’t eat meat” there are people who have dietary issues. Food it seems is a very particular thing.

And like most things, its not necessarily the consumption, plants use huge amounts of water as well. The actual way we farm can change with both animals and plants to reduce their impact on the environment, and improve it when done right.

Regenerative agriculture is probably something we’re not supporting well that we should (perhaps) incentivise more.

1 Like

For the sake of my personal interest, what sort of dietary issues?

Being particular of the “I do not like vegatables” sort I would be a lot less sympathetic for than a genetic condition affecting amino acids, for example

There are undoubted benefits for both the environment and personal health in cutting down, not necessarily giving up

I am a bit of an accidental part time vegetarian - am at home, trying more away from home - on account of my partner being vegetarian, so I am no sort of zealot, but I feel no worse for fewer sausages :slight_smile:

We are in total agreement that there is no one solution

1 Like

I am friends with someone who recently became vegan and has started telling everyone they should not eat as much meat for the reasons mentioned (which are valid, but I won’t be vegetarian never mind vegan anytime soon).

My reply to him is that if you didn’t have SIX kids then maybe it shouldn’t be such a problem where all the meat is going to come from. Population growth is out of control in many (most?) areas of the world.

1 Like