Moderation on the Community

The problem is that while that’s your opinion, it may or may not be anyone else’s. Welcome to the Internet…

I’m afraid I’m not engaged enough to worry about how bank staff choose to moderate a bank forum. I enjoy posting here but this is my leisure time so I’m hoping it will be enjoyable. I have a job and family that demand most of the rest of my time and that’s what I need to save my stress management for.

7 Likes

So was a naked Keith Chegwin :eyes:

I haven’t recovered from that experience. Proof he was alcoholic though. No sober person would agree to that.

Rules are interpreted by the minds of the people that enforce them. Nothing’s black and white.

11 Likes

Zebra crossing.

2 Likes

:exploding_head:

2 Likes

I dunno I mean he probably got paid a lot drunk or not, don’t forget there is that show on CH4 Naked Attraction. Now that I would never do.

*Pedestrian

I forgot that existed. Christ that’s depressing watching.

:face_with_monocle:

:thinking:

Firstly, thank you to everyone who has posted for the ongoing discussion.

I think there is a huge danger in using rigidity and groupthink to describe a subjective abstract. Moderation is not a definitive concept bound by absolutes. It is an ongoing daily practice that more often than not requires us, as moderators, to make decisions. Those decisions are informed by a huge amount of factors. I fundamentally disagree with the concept that because the code of conduct explicitly says X and that a post specifically meets that criteria that it must always lead to a particular action of Y. It may well, but there are always multiple things to consider, many of which will be subjective.

It’s exactly why we have the Coral Crew. We’ve had accusations of them being biased in the past. But to the contrary, they’ve all been selected due to their consistent reliability and level-headed tone.

As Peter so eloquently put it…

I wholeheartedly agree with this. This lives above the concept of specific rules or codes of conduct. Or, to put it differently, it is the entire crux of the code of conduct.

Be adults, be civil, and make this a healthy place for everyone. Imagine that every post you make might be seen by someone who is brand new to the forum. Would it make them want to engage? Does it reflect the vibrant user community? Is it inclusive? If it’s critical, is it constructive in nature, with actionable feedback for the people who can make decisions to improve it? These are some of the questions that must always be asked.

The flag system works to highlight potential issues, because it comes down to judge of character and those who have shown themselves, consistently, to be acting in the interests of making this community a better place. If you are someone who has insulted other users, diverted the flow of discussion in non-productive ways, used demeaning language, received warnings, then it’s a fact of life that any flag you make has inherently less value than someone who has consistently helped us to make both our community and our product better. Again, that’s not an absolute - some issues are very clear cut and it doesn’t matter who flagged them, if it’s clearly inappropriate and obvious to everyone then it is what it is - those posts are usually flagged by several people. But most flagged posts receive just one flag, and that’s generally not enough to establish a consensus, so other factors and motivations must then be considered.

For the avoidance of doubt, that description of a user above, can, and does, fit people who have consistent praise for our product, as well as others who are more critical. So as far as we are concerned, any attempts to pit “pro” or “anti” against each other are unnecessarily polarising and ultimately quite unproductive.

29 Likes

Not really, I’m afraid.

You wrote something that could be interpreted as rude to another forum member and someone flagged it. That’s what the flagging system is for.

It’s not about whether we agree or not, it’s about the opinion of the individual who presses the flag button moderated by staff.

20 Likes

Gosh. The devil in me so wants to flag this :smiling_imp: :joy:

1 Like

More seriously, yes, I do. :white_check_mark:

I do in fairness , I personally didn’t think that was particularly rude , Ive seen much ruder elsewhere that are "allowed " by moderators, but really this is the tricky job of the moderators , its flagged , you can still read your comment , but somebody took offence at it so the system is that if the Monzo staff feel it is offensive having had it brought to their attention its removed isn’t it ? your comment is still there

2 Likes

I think that where a person argues robustly against the consensus of a thread, there is a tendency for their other comments to be flagged for little or no perceptible reason.

I think it’s natural for this to be perceived as aggressive (or passive aggressive, maybe).

I noticed this morning on another thread that a comment was flagged, but before I could read it, it became unflagged. It was argumentative, but benign (in my view).

4 Likes

I agree but the usual end statement of not being able to convince others that your view is correct is words to the effect of " the monzo bully boy cultists once again have pack attacked " as another has said its like wearing your Everton shirt in the Anfield end and going in saying Liverpool are cr*p :slight_smile: then going back to the everton end and saying there all cultist over there :slight_smile: :slight_smile: and all the Everton fans agreeing yes they are - ironic really

2 Likes

I’m absolutely fine for you to quote me Ian - There’s nothing I wouldn’t say on either forum, although I’d prefer it if you got the context right :smile:

The Liverpool/Everton analogy was to do with the fact that this is a Monzo specific forum, not a generic “brand loyal” forum, and was in fact said as a defence of the Monzo forum.

It’s understandable that most people here are loyal to the Monzo brand, and there is no doubt (in my eyes anyway), that some of the comments stem from an emotional point of view, rather than a logical point of view (which again, links back to the football fan analogy).

3 Likes

@Recchan

Not to single you out here but. I think your response here is a key way we can highlight why the forum has gone the way it has recently.

To me… your point was rude and abrupt. If you had of thought before hitting enter there or even come back to your comment in a few minutes I think you’d have realised there was a more civil response that could have been made here and your reply was open to being taken the wrong way. Unfortunately a repsonse like yours is more likely to get a subsequent rude response and then the whole thing spirals.

I know i have responded purely out of passion myself a few times on the forum and believe we should all maybe take a moment to check our responses before we reply on the forum from now on :slight_smile:

This forum is up there with what makes Monzo great, lets keep it that way together!

3 Likes