Moderation on the Community

Im just expanding on the context of members coming from what was really the ex Starling forum commenting negatively on Monzo on their forum and the majority on that forum ( the Everton end if you will ) agreeing - just the same as the Monzo Starling feedback thread here - which has thankfully been closed down - there are hardly any positive posts regarding Monzo on the other forum - but thats accepted as - “well its Monzo”, I feel - maybe wrongly , but it does seem at times pot kettle and black of like minded individuals each supporting " their team "

1 Like

This thread may as well be closed because like all the others of this nature…

5 Likes

I’m sure you’ve seen my comments on that - Personally, I’m not a fan of commenting about other forums - I said the same about the Starling feedback thread (which was 90% the Starling Forum feedback thread), and I’ve said the same on the FinTech thread.

Completely get where you are coming from with the comparison, and whilst I disagree to an extent, there is also some truth there (which I guess is part and parcel of the internet these days).

I think the negativity towards Monzo stems from the “forum” aspect though, rather than the product itself (something that I, and many other users use extensively).

But I generally try to ignore the comments that don’t add much value where possible.

You’d be a good voice to have if you wanted to contribute over there - I’m a little outgunned on my usage of Monzo currently! :smiley:

3 Likes

I do.

On the plus side the moderators should be reviewing the flags, and if a flag is made with malicious intent then the mod should disagree with the flag. That will undo the flag but will also put a black mark on the person who flagged your post.

More black marks and the mods can talk to the person about why they keep doing it.

It works so long as community members flag things appropriately and leaders and moderators also do their job.

It’s falls apart if mods don’t do their job in regards to dealing with inappropriate flags.

2 Likes

To be fair… I think this is a pretty fair reflection. Whilst there are a few great people on here, there are a few which do tend to take things a bit fair (I’ve said this a few times when threads like this appear… so this shouldn’t be a shock to anyone).

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure there’s scope in there for flags not being ‘upheld’ even if they weren’t made with malicious intent. Clearly, the feelings of one individual member may not reflect the feelings of Monzo.

2 Likes

Yes there is. A flag can be treated in 3 ways. It can be agreed with and several actions taken on it, it can be disagreed with, and it can be ignored (no action).

Out of interest…

I had a post flagged yesterday and received (I’m assuming) an automated message from cookywook.

It said that in 10 minutes I can edit my post and it’ll get unflagged - I tried this today by changing some of the text, all the text and adding in a new line and none of those unflagged the post.

Is it usually an automated process or does a moderator look at all flagged posts?

The post should become visible but will never lose its flag unless a moderator presses ignore.

When a post is flagged all moderators are notified to check it (they get an orange notification of the number of flags to check). They’ve not been doing that, at least not particularly fast.

I don’t know about your particular post, but it appears that members on this forum are also abusing their powers by flagging posts they personally don’t like knowing they will be automatically hidden.

This has happened to me twice, both on posts which break no rule or are in any way particularly bad. A number of forum members have a trust level that allows them to flag posts and have those posts immediately hidden from the rest of the community.

Unfortunately this is the only forum I’ve seen this kind of thing happen on a fairly regular frequency to multiple posters (that is, deliberate false flagging to remove posts).

I’m still waiting for a response from my flagged post from a couple of days ago.

3 Likes

There’s not presently any flagged posts in the moderation queue. We generally keep on top of it but some times it can build up for a day or two. Please feel free to DM me if there’s an issue.

3 Likes

I just edited mine now so that it’s visible again so the alert may have gone, but I replied to the PM a couple of days ago asking what are you guys are going to do about these repeated false flags? :confused: as I know I’m not the only one getting them and they seem to be by people with a high enough TL (leaders presumably) to automatically hide people’s posts from the community.

If you check the flag history you should catch them, I have two false flags that resulted in automated hiding of my posts.

We keep a close eye on false flags and repeated abuse of the flag system. If you want to challenge a flag please feel free to DM me or another admin or mod.

3 Likes

I know this is an old thread but I don’t want to make a new one.

Is there anyway that @Monzo can reduce the amount of time on flags?

A post I made nearly 24hrs ago has been flagged for what I can see no reason and serves no real benefit other than annoy and bully users by way of flagging.

A post should not be able to be flagged after a few hours as new users (or haters) can just come on and flag for the fun of it especially when the topic is no longer current

Feel free to send me a message @JohnKneeTravoltea and we can take a closer look into this for you :+1: